DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner

(Searched)How to replace valve stem seals on a 95 gs-t?(without removing head)

2K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  ImBoostedRu 
#1 · (Edited)
Ok, I;ve never had to do this before and it sounds really easy. But, so does replacing a piston at first thought.(!) I've attained this 2g gst with 120000 miles and no modifcations whatsoever. Upon startup it smokes(its obviously burning oil) but it goes away until it starts idling again. So this leaves me to believe its the valvestem seals, especially since compression tests out fine. Not that that absolutely means the rings are ok. But I;d rather start with the valve stem seals since I hear theyre easier to deal with. So this is what I know about replacing them: The valve cover has to come off(dur da dur).
I can use an air compressor set at 100 psi to hold the valves up in the cylinder so they dont fall.
The pressurised cylinder should be at tdc incase the valve does fall.
I compress the valve spring then remove the valve spring retainer then remove the valve spring. After that, I can remove the valve stem seal.
Repeat 16x.
Ofcourse, I understand the process to be easier if I remove the cams, so I probably will. Then I'll retime the engine.
I dont know if theres more to this or not, I'd appreciate any advice you guys have.

#4 ·
Yeah coiled rope works the best, You risk turning the engine over when pressurizing it if it isn't perctly straight up. Like red said just stuff rope down in there so you don't have to worry about it falling at all then.

#5 ·
flexnuts02 said:
Yeah coiled rope works the best, You risk turning the engine over when pressurizing it if it isn't perctly straight up. Like red said just stuff rope down in there so you don't have to worry about it falling at all then.
Hmm, that definitely makes more sense. Will do!

#8 ·
Dsm Rocket said:
Go to www.vfaq.com and click on the DSM mod site link. click on the Engine tab on the top of the page and then about half way down you'll see Replacing Valvestem Seals click on that and theres all you'll need to know to do the trick :)
Thanks that helped alot. I cant believe I overlooked that in the first place.:banana:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.