DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner

1G hunts at idle

2K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  Octane 
#1 ·
I am having a hell of a time getting this thing goin. When I bought it the lady said it wouldnt start. So I tested and replaced the ISC and the ecu since the caps were corroded. I then discovered the idle switch connector was broken and I replaced it and set it to contact the butterfly. Now I got the thing running but it hunts at idle worse when its cold. Once I put it into gear (reverse or drive) the car idles like it should at 1000. It kind of bogs out at higher rpms too. The car is a 93 plymouth laser turbo AWD automatic

#4 ·
Okay ive been tinkering with it today. First of all I had a very hard time getting it started. It took a lot of cranking and dieing out to get it going. It fired up and revved to 3000 and came down too 1200 and hunted to 1500 repeatedly. So I started spraying brake clean on the intake manifold and no change in RPM.

Then I unplugged the booster line from the manifold and it had some pretty good suction. When in gear it idles normal but it sputters very bad and has almost no throttle response. One thing I did notice is that the idle bumps up when I turn on the blower motor.

#5 ·
First thing to do is to make a boost leak tester and check the system for intake air leaks with it. Second thing that I would do just for good measure is replace the coolant temp sensor, if its original its very likely not very accurate anymore and its a cheap part to replace.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.