DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner

Answer: Differences between Mitsu Oil Filters

73K views 94 replies 64 participants last post by  gargmukul121 
#1 ·
I was at the dealership the other day and had a conversation with one of the guys in the parts dept.

He said that all the Mitsu filters are the same except for the OUTSIDE physical sizes and anyone of the Mitsu filters could be used on ANY Mitsu. He uses one oil filter on 3 different Mitsu cars he owns and they all call for 3 different filters.

Just as someone had posted in another thread regarding this, the reason for the physical size difference was just for clearance issues. (Engineering related)

So if anyone wants to use the BIG oil filter from the early 1g turbos, they can.

Also, the parts guy gave me a tip, but I don't know if it will help anyone out.

He said that the new Outlander has a "short" oil filter and that anyone that had some crazy set up on their car could use that oil filter because it will afford more room.

FYI

#5 ·
turboniam said:
I was at the dealership the other day and had a conversation with one of the guys in the parts dept.

He said that all the Mitsu filters are the same except for the OUTSIDE physical sizes and anyone of the Mitsu filters could be used on ANY Mitsu. He uses one oil filter on 3 different Mitsu cars he owns and they all call for 3 different filters.

Just as someone had posted in another thread regarding this, the reason for the physical size difference was just for clearance issues. (Engineering related)

So if anyone wants to use the BIG oil filter from the early 1g turbos, they can.

Also, the parts guy gave me a tip, but I don't know if it will help anyone out.

He said that the new Outlander has a "short" oil filter and that anyone that had some crazy set up on their car could use that oil filter because it will afford more room.

FYI
Now will this outlander filter allow for the same filtering abilities?

#6 ·
Since it is a smaller filter, the amount of paper filter element will be lower and have less surface area to filter the oil through. If you are religious about oil changes, then you should be ok. I personally have the very large filter on my car and life is good. If I were going to try the outlander filter, I'd buy just one and see how it goes first.

#7 ·
Re: Re: Answer: Differences between Mitsu Oil Filters

16g-95GSX said:

Now will this outlander filter allow for the same filtering abilities?
From what I was told, obviously the size of the filter will make a difference in how often you change it, how much it will flow etc.

I personally have a daily driver, so I will be going with the larger filter... but those that have some strange set-ups where room is an issue "may" benefit from using the smaller Outlander filter.

#8 ·
Here's some more info since this thread is sticky-fied:

MD325714 95 Eclipse Turbo
MD135737 Superseeded#
Smaller diameter and longer than both Eclipse and 3KGT filters

MD031805 Misc. older applications
Wider diameter and shorter than Eclipse filter
Wider diameter but longer than 3KGT filter

MD352626 97 3000 GT VR-4
Smaller diameter and shorter than Misc filter
Larger diameter and much shorter than Eclipse filter

I use the 3KVR4 filter as it's the shortest in height, which is needed to clear the flange on my AWD 3" Hahn downpipe.

#9 ·
turboniam said:

FYI
Thanks for the info.. But I've been using only OEM 300 GT VR4 in my car with no lifter tick.. Any other oil filter I try gives me lifter tick.. :eek: A product that Mitsubishi make that works.. :rolleyes: J/K :D

#11 ·
3000GT oil filter...

Hey did anyone get one of these filters lately?

Did Mitsubishi revise them or something? Mach V has the filters, only they are a light color (like off white colored). The 3000GT VR-4 filter I bought from the Mitsu dealership down the street from me is black AND it comes with one of those washer/spacer things to help with installing it and not crushing the oil cooler. The spacer was taped to the box for the 3000GT filter but NOT with the filter they had standard for the 91 Eclipse.

So I'm just wondering did Mitsubishi revise their filters? None of the filters were white like on the pic at MachV.com- they were all black and the 3000GT VR-4 filter comes with a spacer for a clean installation.

Just wondering if anyone else noticed this...

#12 ·
does anyone know if the Mobile 1 oil filters will work the same way?

A 2g can operate a 1g larger mobile one oil filter?

#13 ·
CyByte said:
does anyone know if the Mobile 1 oil filters will work the same way?

A 2g can operate a 1g larger mobile one oil filter?
The only issue I'd worry about would be the gasket on the oil filter being a different size between the two filters. I was checking out some other brands (before buying the Mitsu one) and a few companies had different gasket sizes which didn't really grab my interest :(

#14 ·
my friend works at auto zone I can have him check the mobile one filters for us :)

#16 ·
amasol(msp) - do you mean aimsoil?

I was looking at some filter comparissons of about 20 different brands. The mobil 1 and aimsoil are identical craftsmanship inside with the same parts :)

so you could still use the aimsoil and use a mobil 1 oil filter for a 2g turbo

#17 ·
I personally like the Purolator PL10193.
What I was wondering is, do the smaller filters flow, and filter the same as the larder ones?
Input please?

#18 ·
I've got a Mobil 1 filter on my 91 Talon, but there is a clearance issue with my o2 eliminator from buschur. Well, the downpipe is actually what's pushing on the filter. I might try a 3kgt filter considering it's supposed to be shorter.
BTW, it was $12 compared to $4 for a bosch filter.:eek:

#19 ·
MD031805..........

I sent a friend of mine for an oil filter........... he had the MD352626 filter on there. When he went to pick it up the parts guy said that it was discontinued :confused: Can anybody confirm this? I have always used the MD031805 on my car. I have never had problems, and I dont feel like changing a good thing.................. at least in my case.

#22 ·
Re: MD031805..........

harry99GSX said:
I sent a friend of mine for an oil filter........... he had the MD352626 filter on there. When he went to pick it up the parts guy said that it was discontinued :confused: Can anybody confirm this? I have always used the MD031805 on my car. I have never had problems, and I dont feel like changing a good thing.................. at least in my case.
That sounds wrong. Maybe the guy meant the part number had been superseeded, but I highly doubt Mitsu would stop making oil filters for the 3KGT VR4 when there are tons of them still driving around out there, periodically needing new filters.

Check again, I use MD352626 on my car and have never had problems getting them.

If you can still use the MD031805, I'd stay with it; it's a bigger fitler. I unfortunetly can't run that filter due to clearance issues with the HRC AWD downpipe.

#23 ·
Definately go with the 3000GT VR4 oil filter. They are the only ones I can get on my car even with the stock downpipe. I tried the "big" 1G filter and I couldn't get a good grip with the wrench on it so it ended up cracking the filter housing. Definately go with the 3000GT one. Next time you go to the Mitsubishi dealer just tell them you own a 3000GT VR4 and want the oil filter for it. If they hassle you then find a new Mitsubishi dealership :)

#24 ·
shadrach
That sounds wrong. Maybe the guy meant the part number had been superseeded, but I highly doubt Mitsu would stop making oil filters for the 3KGT VR4 when there are tons of them still driving around out there, periodically needing new filters.
I thought the same thing, but the guy I sent swore they said it was discontinued.....:rolleyes:
If you can still use the MD031805, I'd stay with it; it's a bigger fitler. I unfortunetly can't run that filter due to clearance issues with the HRC AWD downpipe.
I have an Eliminator Jr. HRC AWD downpipe.....no fitment issues. Are you using the full Eliminator downpipe?

#25 ·
Yeah, the 3" AWD O2 eliminator is a 2-piece part, and unfortunetly, as the you can see below, the flange sits directly next to the oil filter:

I took this pic after the turbo install. Than a few thousand miles later I tried to remove that filter and I couldn't unscrew it far enough to get it off the threads, it would butt-up against the flange...

...so I destryoed the filter to get it off, and replaced it with this one:

#26 ·
very good to know. Would a 1g filter fit instead of a 3000GT filter? it would still be larger then a 2g oil filter.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.