DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner

1st gear pops out....

8K views 17 replies 8 participants last post by  quazz209 
#1 ·
my tranny is starting to pop out of gear (only in 1st) when you are on a dead stop ready to go, it does this occasionally, any info would be great...

#7 ·
Mine will pop out of first if I am going along slowly. For example, if a light is about to turn green and I do not want to come to a full stop. If I apply constant pressure to the shifter it still try but goes right back without being able to pop out. I figured my syncros are/getting worn out. Could a misadjusted cable cause that?

#9 ·
Can you shift fast into 2nd? I've had that happen on 2 different trannys. i suspect broken/bent shift fork.

#12 ·
adjusted the shifter cables, the c/ master cylinder rod is almost coming out of the pedal(all the way to the end) bled properly, pump 10 times and hold, slave bleeds open then closed before release of pedal and repeat several times...

thinking about getting the extended slave rod..... new master.... and new slave.... before i pull the tranny to check the fork if it is bent.

for now it is also starting to grind when i put it in first gear and occasional
2nd gear, btw it also has very low engagement, about half to an inch off the floor...
thanks

#13 ·
I would try to solve that engagment problem first and then tackle any issues that remain. It sounds like you have all of your bases covered for getting the engagement back off the floor. That is as long as your fork isnt bent. Remember to check your pedal assembly for play as well.

#15 ·
1gawd4g63 said:
if it won't stay in gear it has nothing to do with master adjustment or a bent clutch fork, that would just have to do with enguagement. This problem is more than likely internal inside the tranny.
I agree that it most likely a transmission related problem. However with the amount of issues he has going on it will be easier to elimnate them one at a time. Otherwise its like trying to hit a moving target. The engagement issue is much easier to address first, thereby isolating his transmission problems.

#16 ·
well, everything checks out: master and slave, cables, shifter adjustments.

it is time for a rebuild, i know having it done by sheptrans,tre is the best way to go and the only way.

is there a link on rebuilding a tranny that most of us can do and what parts to buy as an upgrade(i like the oem parts as used in sheptrans)... please post your suggestions and links and thanks a bunch

#17 · (Edited)
NoidGST said:
Had the same problem with my 95AWD. It ended up being a bad end bearing on the imtermediate shaft so i just replaced them both.
+1 I Bet this is the problem, I just got done fixing the same problem on my car a couple months back.
You cant go wrong with shep or tre though! Good Luck.
97wwr1915 said:
My GST does this every now and then but I think it may be due to having a short-shifter and me just being to lazy to make sure its in all the way before moving...
I woiuldn't be so sure, the bearing on the intermediate shaft "1st gear side" is the first bearing to go in our trannys.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.