DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner

How Can I Get My Crank Pulley Back On?

3K views 8 replies 3 participants last post by  BISHILVR 
#1 ·
After doing my timing belt, water pump, head gasket, all that, I need to get the harmonic balancer back on. I can set the crank pulley on the crank but that's it. I have a bolt that's one inch longer than the factory bolt. I have heard of using washers. I have also heard of heating the pulley to slip it on.

O'Riley's has a crank sprocket installer but they can't tell me over the phone if it will work with the 420a. I live 30 miles from the nearest one so, does anyone know if it works? And finally when I do get the sprocket threaded on, how do I torque it down properly? I would scream so loud if I jumped the timing!

I've searched and searched but haven't found how to torque it down and if O'Riley's generic installer will work.

Thanks for any help.

#4 ·
You can do it that way yes, it will pull itself back onto the crank. Impact air gun would work to get it up on there, when your all finished though use a torque wrench to set the final torque with the original bolt.

#6 ·
#8 ·
First off, thank you for all the well-written, helpful replies.

What I did:

I got a harmonic balancer pulley installer from O'Riley's. I was told it was the only one they had to lease and that it would work on my 420a Eclipse. I got home and quickly found out it would not work for several reasons. This sent me to go grad an impact gun, washers, and a 1" longer than stock bolt to go through the crank pulley bolt hole. I was able to set the pulley on the crank. While it rested, I put four washers on the bolt and used the impact gun to "push" the pulley on as far as it could. Carefully, I backed out the bolt and repeated the process until I was ready to use the stock bolt. The whole time, a person needs to make sure the crank's threads don't start to cross-thread or be damaged in any way. At first, I thought of putting grease on the bolt. This surely would keep the threads slippery and cool. However, I did not want to risk the bolt slipping out eventually down the road.

Now the bolt was through the pulley and everything looked fine but I needed to check the torque. Instead of jamming a bar between the pulley and the oil pan, my dad put his wits to work. What he suggested (and what I did) was to put a bolt and nut through a vice. Then, take the gun and go through each of its torque settings, 1-4. This way, I could see what torque specs each setting put out. I set the gun on notch "1" and it torqued at 80. Notch "2" torqued down at almost exactly 105 ft lbs. So bingo, I set the gun to notch 2 and that's the end of the story.

If anyone sees this thread in the future, feel free to send me a PM. I plan to be into DSMs for a long time so I should reply quickly.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.