DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner

bought Eclipse Sypder, want 300+hp, name brands/sites, $1000-$1500

1K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  infury 
#1 ·
Just recently bought a 1996 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder GST. It is a sweet car and has only 70,000 miles on it. I was wondering what to start on first to gain more hp. I'd like to get it to 300-350 hp with a budget of $1500. Is this possible? Looking at exhaust, fuel mgmt., blow off valve, intercooler, etc. Any particular brands you like, please post opinion. thanks

#2 ·
Why 300hp? Are you looking for a certain time for 1/4 or just want the HP number?
rre and buschur will start you off right.
you'll need gauges first, then a bc, safc, 3" full cat, dp from RRE would be nice, 16G, fuel pump rewire, free mods.
you can get a 1g bov and a supra smic. maybe even a 14B off of a 1g

#3 ·
$1500 for 300-350hp may not be enough, atleast on pump gas. Do you plan do to all the work yourself? I believe DSMtuners and Turbo Trix also have staged upgrades. And since you have fwd, if you plan to hook up at all you better look into getting shocks,springs, tires, motor mounts, and better wheels all help. On the average, regular street tires will not cut it to get your fwd to hook up. If you're not going to upgrade suspension/tires plan on spinning 1st, 2nd, and possibly even 3rd with 300-350 hp. I never had my car dynoed, but have beaten plenty of 13 second cars (mustangs, new m3, lightning svt) and I could spin 3rd from a roll with my almost bald tires, but it was more like it had traction, then spun a little, and got traction again. With $1500 in mods and no suspension upgrades you'll most likely still be in the 14s.

#4 ·
I'm sure he could find parts cheap/used if he looked around.
1500 should be enough to break into 300hp if he is smart about it however I don't understand the wanting for just a number. why not go after a time or something?

#5 ·
I just plan on starting off with a blow off valve, possibly a GReddy downpipe, GReddy intercooler, air filter, etc. I was just wondering what would be the best place to start. I will be doing all the work myself. And what sites would be the cheapest to purchase from. I would like to start off at $1500 and then go more from there. 13s car would be nice.
thanks.

#6 ·
If you are looking to only spend $1500 Greddy is the wrong direction to go.

You are going to have to be frugal in your spending. 1G BOV on a dave Brode intercooler pipe. AHP exhaust stuff. Ported stock exhaust manifold and O2 housing and possible even a used 14B or 16G. Used parts off of the traders and ebay are you friend.

#7 ·
infury said:
I'm sure he could find parts cheap/used if he looked around.
1500 should be enough to break into 300hp if he is smart about it.
That is true. Used parts will definetly bring down costs if he doesn't mind getting it used. Especially since he is doing all his own work I think 300 horse power is reasonable for $1500. You just have to spend wisely and search around for good/cheap parts. If you get used parts and stay away from Greddy $1500 should be enough. If you can not afford suspension parts, some people put zip ties on the front springs and spring boosters in the rear springs to keep weight transfer to a miminum. It might be ghetto, but it does work and is temporary until you get shocks/springs. I still run spring boosters although I have upgraded suspension and plan on putting zip ties on the fronts when the weather is nice.

#8 ·
witta7 said:
I just plan on starting off with a blow off valve, possibly a GReddy downpipe, GReddy intercooler, air filter, etc. I was just wondering what would be the best place to start. I will be doing all the work myself. And what sites would be the cheapest to purchase from. I would like to start off at $1500 and then go more from there. 13s car would be nice.
thanks.
i dont think you'll need a fmic with that few mods, you need a bigger turbo to make use of it. if you're on such a budget, just buy a 1g bov, dont waste the money on something that wont increase power.

#10 ·
lol greddy isn't the answer with dsm's.
maybe the only greddy products that are actually widely used on dsms are their profec b and their type s bov.

for exhaust go custom or rre or buschur or go to rnr.
for a dp I'd go rre or something reliable in the dsm world. greddy WILL rob your bank and pretty much not live up to the performance of the other proven companies.

13's in a spyder isn't too unreasonable. you won't need an fmic at all with those mods. not to generalize but these cars are not like honda's in the sense that you don't have to pay the bucks for names like greddy and apex and hks.
infact you're only hurting yourself unless you need the names to be flashy with the racing crowd :santa:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.