DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner

Easy to shift, then once warm...hard to get into gear?

9K views 21 replies 14 participants last post by  greeneclipsers 
#1 ·
Alright soo I have been doing research on this the last couple days and can't seem to find anything that fits my symptoms real well.

The car started to do this a couple weeks ago and is slowly getting worse.

When I first start my car in the morning and drive it the clutch pedal seems softer and the car goes in and out of gear very easily like normal. Once the car is driven for about 20 minutes, the clutch pedal seems to get a little harder and the car is hard to get in and out of gear without grinding. The slave cylinder has no show of leaking and either does the master cylinder. I have flushed the old clutch fluid out in hopes that maybe it was just the the fluid was getting to hott as the car was driven more but that hasn't fixed the problem. I am a bit clueless on what is going on. I wouldn't think it would be the clutch because it would be hard to get into gear all the time. Please chime in with ANY input you may have.

Vehicle: 1995 Eclipse GSX
OEM clutch

#5 · (Edited)
Nothing special. I'm going to try and re-adjust the clutch pedal and see if it's just 2G pedal pump. I don't think it is but might as well check.

When the car is cold and the clutch is working fine and shifting easy the engaging point on the clutch pedal is about half way. As I drive more the clutch engaging point moves closer to the floor and the clutch stiffens up a little bit. It proceeds to move closer and closer to the floor and gets harder to put into gear. It doesn't slip at all which is why I don't think it's pedal pump. Once it gets hard to put into gear my car will start to roll in first gear with the clutch pedal fully in. If there is any more info I can provide please let me know. Thanks.

#6 ·
your master cylinder might be going bad. if it starts to go then you wont get enough pressure to the slave. or your pressure plate might be on its way out. when my PP went it wouldnt let me disengage the clutch, which lead to me replacing the entire hydraulic system aside from the hardlines.

One other thing, check the rubber clutch line if it is bad then it might be expanding way to much under the pressure due to the heat. maybe try replacing it with a braided line.

#8 ·
my 91 did that, then one day, in traffic, it just decided to get stuck in second gear. I blew my throw out bearing. Always a possiblity, cause Mine worked fine til everything started to get to running temps.

#9 ·
Alright I'm going to switch out the slave and master cylinder. I think they are the originals so this is probably the case. As for the clutch line I'm going to do a SS braided line like suggested. I've been meaning to do it for a while but you know how things go with these cars. Thanks for all your input. I'll post a reply once I figure out what exactly was wrong.

Thanks again.

#11 ·
Definately doesn't sound like the pedal is pumping up. The engagement point would get really high if that were the case.

I would check both cylinders and rebleed the system, making sure to depress the slave rod, to get all moisture or old fluid out of the system.

Because of the description I doubt it is something mechanical. That leaves me with the thoughts above.

#13 · (Edited)
I had the same exact issue with my first 2600. It turned out the clutch pressure plate was BAD. I could get into it every morning and drive for approximately a half hour and then my engagement point would slowly drop until it was non existent. Meanwhile I had replaced my Master cylinder/slave, restrictor removal, stainless steel clutch line diagnosing the problem.

The pedal was actually never right and this part really screwed with me, is if I Launched the car or got the clutch really really hot, the pedal would return to where it should have been. which then preloaded the clutch, and then it would 2g pump up from me screwing around with the rod so much. but it turns out that was from a cracked shift fork.

#18 ·
NOMIEZVR4 said:
I had a similar problem a few years ago...

What exactly turned out to be the culprit? The transmission bolts were loose. Have someone check to see if the transmission moves when you push the clutch.

so whenever the car fully warmed up it would be hard to get into gear? or was this a problem that happened regardless of how long it has been running?

#19 ·
Sorry to bring this thread back from the grave but I have the exact same problem now. Car shifts fine when cold, but after a short time of driving it becomes difficult to get into gear. It becomes harder to shift the longer you drive it.

Already replaced the master cylinder and slave cylinder. That helped for a day of day, but the problem is coming back.

This all started when I replaced the clutch with an ACT 2100 - I put a new street disc, TO bearing and used pressure plate with 25K miles on it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.