DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner

How to remove rear hub?

3K views 14 replies 4 participants last post by  lljrll 
#1 ·
Does the rear hub on a 2g fwd non ABS have to be pressed out? I need to replace my wheel studs with longer ones and I can't get the longer ones in, there is not enough room. I took the 4 bolts out of the back of the hub, but what else needs to be done? It is not coming out after that.

#2 ·
not sure if it helps, but i had to replace the front hub on my 94 this weekend due to a crack in the steering knuckle and it was a NIGHTMARE. I pulled the hub off the car with the axle and put it on a press. Couldnt get it seperated. Even took a torch to it and got it glowing red, then ran the press and it still wouldnt seperate!!! I finally gave up after trying for 30 min with the press and torch. Luckily a friend had an extra axle sitting in his garage collecting dust so we would up using that one instead.

Attia
94 Tsi AWD
98 Supra Turbo

#3 ·
Well I know one the 2gs the front and rear hubs are differnt. I need to get it off the car so I can put the new studs in. Can I just take off the axle on the rear and do it that way? There is just not enough room to get the stud in because it is hitting whatever the hub is mounted to. I might just end up cutting a few threads off the stud then it should have no problem getting in.

#5 ·
Slide hammer. It sucks balls. I'm not familiar with the hub setup, but most likely the only way you're gettin that shit apart is with a slide hammer. You might get lucky and it'll go easy. Pop the axle nut off, tap the axle out of the spindle a bit, and smack the hell out of it with the slide. Not fun....

#6 ·
Otis said:
Slide hammer. It sucks balls. I'm not familiar with the hub setup, but most likely the only way you're gettin that shit apart is with a slide hammer. You might get lucky and it'll go easy. Pop the axle nut off, tap the axle out of the spindle a bit, and smack the hell out of it with the slide. Not fun....
This is for the rear hub? Does it just go back in place easy or do I have to use the slide hammer or press it in?

#8 ·
What do I have to wedge on the other side , that is facing towards the car? You did this with the rear right, because I believe the fronts are different. I wish I had a shop manual to do this, but now all I have is haynes and it says to take off the hub bolts and it comes off, but I can't get it off. What is a castlenut? I need that to take it out or put it back in? I think I might just cut some of the stud so I can get it in easier, this seems like too much work. Thanks for the help guys.

#9 ·
I haven't taken the hubs off my talon but most hub designs are the same, some hold rotors on and some rotors are on the outside.

After the hub bolts are out it is a game of leverage, once it starts moving it will go. Just don't bend anything behind the hub like dust shields etc.

I first pound the hub back on w/ a block of wood and a hammer then use the nut if the threads are there.

The castlenut is just the axle nut.

#10 ·
So it should just bang out I do not have to press it out/in? Any other special tools I can use to take it out easier or put it in? I have a shop at my school, so I can pretty much borrow any tool there. What exaclty do I pound on? Is it the piece in the back that spins when I spin the hub(don't know the name). I refuse to take it anywhere to get it done, I don't care if it takes me a week do to both sides I will get the studs in some how. Can I just use a flat head screw driver and pound on it with a hammer in between the hub and where it mounts where the bolts come out of? I'm going to cut the stud tomorrow at school and see how much needs to be cut to get the stud in with out removing the hub.

#13 ·
Otis said:
An air compressor and some impact tools will make your life a whole lot easier. BTW if you already pounded the old studs out, the slide hammer is worthless.
Maybe I will use a slide hammer if I can't get it off. I just want to make sure it does not HAVE to be pressed in or out. I only pounded out one stud to make sure the longer one would fit, but it doesn't.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.