DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner

P1750 Transmission Solenoid Assemby Code

45K views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  batrider 
#1 ·
Hi, this is my first time posting on this board so I hope I get everything right as far as explaing a problem I have on my car.

First of all it is a 1997 Eclipse GS Spyder with the 2.4 L 4G64 engine, non-turbo.

The transmission is the F4A23-2-UPQ5 transmission. It's a 4-speed automatic transmission.

I have the P1750 code and I know that is the transmission solenoid assemby code.

My transmission is shifting very erratic. When I take off at a light it will not start off in 1st gear so I don't have much torque to take off so it is very slow taking off from an incline. And when it shifts it shifts hard. Cruising at 70 mph is at about 4,000 RPM.

I was going to drain the transmission fluid and take off the pan and filter and remove the valve body so I can test the contacts on the solenoids but I think I will just test to see what specific transmission trouble code it gives me so I don't have to do that first.

I know there are 4 solenoids. The torque converter clutch solenoid coil, the pressure contol solenoid valve coil, and the shift control solenoid valves A and B coil.

My service manual tells me that the ohm spec for the torque converter clutch solenoid coil is approx. 13 ohms

For the pressure control solenoid valve coil it's approx. 3 ohms.

And for the shift control solenoid valve A and B coil it's approx. 22 ohms.

All at 68 degrees Farenheit.

I am thinking it is one of the two shift control solenoid valve coils. It says if the resistance of the shift control solenoid valve A is high then there is an open circuit and it will outup trouble code No. 41 as output. If the resistance is low then there is a short circuit and it will output trouble code No. 42. The same goes for the shift control solenoid valve B. If the resistance is high then there is an open circuit and it will ouput trouble code No. 43. If the resistance is low then it has a short circuit and the trouble code No. 44 will be output.

It also says if you get trouble code 41 or 42 as output 4 times it will output a fail-safe trouble code No. 83 and the transmission is locked in 3rd gear as a fail-safe measure. Same goes for trouble code 43 and 44.

It also says it could be the wiring harness between the transmission control module and the solenoids.

Or it could be a faulty transmission control module.

My main question is if it is one of the solenoids or the shift control solenoid valve A or B coil, which I think is the problem, where would I be able to buy one of these solenoids?

Can they be bought individually or do they come in the set of 4 or can you buy just one shift control solenoid valve coil or do they sell them as both the A and B coil together?

And about how much am I looking at? $100, $200, $500. If it is one of the solenoids.

Also is this a common problem on this transmission?

Thanks in advance for any help and any questions to help me further with my problem just let me know.

See less See more
#2 ·
I just bought a solenoid shift pack (all 4) for a 1G, and I paid 39 bucks for all of them. They don't sell them individually b/c they all connect into one point in the wiring harness. That was obviously for a 1G, but I believe in the sale book the shift solenoids where all listed together and they all were about the same price for all the years.

I don't know anything about the shift coils. Somebody else will have to chime in on that.

Limp mode and shifting problems are a pretty common problem on these cars, and every situation seems to be uinque with no real clear cut course of action. Lots of trial and error.

#3 ·
Thanks, I'll see where I can find them if it is one of the shift control valve solenoid coils that are the problem.

I was wondering if you pull the transmission codes off of the transmission control unit/module? I was assuming that is where to pull the codes, but I cannot find a 16-pin data link connector that connects to the transmission control unit/module and was wondering if that is what I need to be doing? I can see the 16-pin connector to pull the codes from the ECU and I am familiar with that connector, which is where I got the P1750 code from. On the 97 Eclipse Spyder you just reach under the steering wheel dash panel and it's right on the corner on the right next to the driver side under panel when you reach down.

But I am trying to pull the transmission codes, the ones that go from No. 11 to No. 63. Codes 41, 42, 43, and 44 have to do with the shift control solenoid valve coils.

Still searching through my service manual to see where to do this. Just a lot of information in the manual and trying to see where to find what I need.

It does mention how to check the TCM terminals. There are 46 of them and you can test them for 0 V or positive voltage based on certain condiotions.

It says for shift control solenoid valve A with conditions: Engine: Idling & Selector lever position: L range - terminal 2 will have a battery positive voltage. With conditions: Engine idling & Selector lever position: 2 range then terminal 2 will have a 0 voltage.

For shift control solenoid valve B and transaxle condition: 1st and 2nd gear - terminal 15 will have a battery positive voltage. For transaxle condition: 3rd and 4th gear - terminal 15 will have a 0 voltage.

Those are tests when checking the TCM terminals.

I also need to check the harness wires from the TCM to the solenoids and see if there could be a problem there.

Just wondering if anybody has dealt with this on a 2G (97-99) Eclipse Spyder with the F4A23 automatic transmission.

#5 ·
Thanks. I am going to hook up a multimeter and pull the TCM/TCU codes like you said.

I figured it had to be the ECU data link connector since my service manual only mentioned that 16-pin connector that I use to pull the ECU codes from when discussing pulling the TCM/TCU codes and that was the only 16-pin connector I saw under there.

The OBD II scanner only says code P1750 and that there are specific transmission codes there but does not say which ones.

So I'll use the multimeter and see if I can find the specific codes.

Thanks again.

#6 ·
Where did you find the pack of 4 solenoids for $39? The only place I can find them is someplace like IPT for $220 for all four. I haven't called a dealer yet and don't have one close at all.

#7 ·
I think he said he got them for $39 for a 1st generation Eclipse, not the 2G Eclipse. Still a good price though. Anything under $50 is good.

Were they new or used? Either way it's a good price.

I have a Mitsubishi dealership in town but I have not called to ask yet if they carry the solenoids or if they do what the price is.

I have heard $360 and $426 and as high as $500 but this is just what I have heard so I don't know an exact price. But honestly I have no idea what they run from a Mitsubishi parts department at a dealership. I'll call and ask and see if they have them. There is a Mitsubishi dealership close to my friend's place about 10 minutes away so I need to go and see what they say.

But for $220 that's not bad at all. If it turns out I need to replace the solenoids then I would pay $220. It's not cheap but it's not too bad either.

I just haven't had time to work on or look at my own cars since I am super busy 24/7 it seems working on a lot of other people's cars that I don't have time to work on my cars. I work on so many cars just to make extra money to pay for parts and goodies to work on my my cars, hah hah. Only problem is time.

Hopefully I can get this transmission issue sorted out. My inspection already expired at the end of February so I need to get it fixed soon on that car.

#8 ·
Okay, I finally had some time today to look at the car and pull the TCM codes.

I got codes 31, 52, and 86.

So it looks like I need to test Pulse Generator A based on code 31.

And based on code 52 it looks like I have a 2nd gear incorrect ratio which is possibly a faulty Pulse Generator A causing it.

And code 86 is the fail-safe code due to an incorrect gear ratio so my car is locked in 2nd, 3rd gear.

#9 ·
So I assume the P1750 engine code is just sort of a generic transmission code and not necessarily any of the solenoids that are causing the problem but rather a generic transmission code that the TCM relays to the ECU when it detects a transmission malfunction.

I wonder how much a pulse generator would be for a 1997 Eclipse Spyder? I'll call the dealership tomorrow since the parts department is closed right now.

I need to test the pulse generator A first though. Just curious about how much it costs and the best place to buy one from?

#10 ·
I called my local Mitsubishi dealership and the pulse generator A is a special order part and they can get it for $76.98 plus tax.

Not too bad. Now I just have to test it to confirm it has gone bad.

Which explains why my car is stuck in 2nd and 3rd gear. Still driveable though, but I can't start in 1st gear so without the torque it makes it tough to take off at a light that is at an incline and I have no overdrive or basically 4th gear. At highway speeds my car is at about 4,000 to 4,200 RMPs at 65 to 70 mph.

And we all know us DSM owners do not drive over 70 to obey the speed limits right?

Hopefully it is the pulse generator A gone bad. Since the TCM codes lead to that. And not the solenoids which seem to be more costly.

#11 ·
I've been through all this. Have you dropped the pan yet to look for metal chunks? If there are any then your trans is toast and it would be a waste of time to investigate the TCU codes. I did like you are doing at first and then took it to my local shop where he found the metal and burned fluid. I ended up with a remanufactured trans.... ouch!

Russ

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.