DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner

Limp Mode Update ... selenoid #2?

8K views 13 replies 5 participants last post by  techboy 
#1 ·
If you go to the next page, you'll see back in August I threw up like 3 posts trying to figure out my limp mode problem. I haven't worked on the car much lately, so it's still in limp mode, but I finally made some progress on it. I figured out selenoid #2 is shorted out (at least that's what the diagnostic computer said). I ordered another and I'm going to try to install next weekend. In the meantime, I was wondering if anyone had any info this selenoid, what it does, and how likely it is to be causing my limp mode problem.

#2 ·
Solenoid shift set - where to get?

So, I went to swap out the solenoids on the transmission today only to find out the company I got them from sent me the set for the FWD car, not the AWD. The company does NOT show a solenoid set available for the AWD.

I did a search on here and looked in JNZ's Mitsu catalog, both yeilded nothing. Anyone know where I can get an AWD soleniod shift set for a 1991?

Thanks.

#4 ·
You're 100% sure about that. You've answered my questions before and have never led me astray, so I turst you're response, just double checking. It makes sense to me that they would be, but the service manual lists the soleniod shift set as being for the FWD tranny code, but not the AWD. I suppose it's possible they just forgot to include it.

If that's the case, I'll guess I'll drop the pan and get to it. Do you have remove the valve body to get to all of them?

#5 ·
dropping the valve body certainly makes it easier to get to the solenoids, however I've done it before by just loosening it up and sliding it by and tightening things up.

If you got the solenoid for a NT car by accident it'd make sense they are different but the F4A33 and W4A33 use the same solenoids.

#7 ·
dropping the valve body certainly makes it easier to get to the solenoids, however I've done it before by just loosening it up and sliding it by and tightening things up.
I ended up dropping the whole valve body. It was way easier than just loosening it up. Especially when attaching the ground wires and all that. The bolts for that are on the top side. Interestingly, I had to cut off the lock-up solenoid. The 91 is only equipped with 3 solenoids, not 4 like what I assume would be the later models. (93 and up??)

#9 ·
No, my 91 GSX doesn't shift at all ... it's stuck in limp mode and still is. It didn't shift with the OEM solenoids or the new ones. (see my other thread)The side of the box is marked FWD F4A33 ... which according to HighPSI guy in this thread they are same solenoids for the W4A33.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.