DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner

Yellow top batteries, good and bad of them please

2K views 18 replies 9 participants last post by  turbo90awd 
#1 ·
my friend told me that the yellow top batteries have some downfalls also compared to the regular ones, what are the good and bad of these batteries?

#2 ·
Suposivly Deep Cycle battery's have (or did) a memory. Meaning they remember when they are charged. If they are charged at the same point often enough, they think when they are below that charge level, they are dead. So if you use a deep cycle battery as your main, you could have problems with the car not starting, even though the battery has more then enough juice left in it.

#3 ·
they have fixed this with items such as rechargable batteries and cellular phones i would think that would be a huge problem, sense the alternator is constantly recharging the battery? if you had the radio on for 10 or 15 minutes without running the car it would then in theory not start because it would think that there is no juice?

#4 ·
I've used an Optima Yellow Top as my main and only battery for 4 years now. Keep in mind I have a stock charging system and 1/0 AWG wire running to a Rockford Punch 360a2 and Power 800a2. It has never let me down and I haven't yet had to replace it after four long years of bumpin' sometimes with the car off for 20 minutes at a time. I can watch a whole DVD in my car at normal listening volume with it off and still have plenty of juice left to start it. I've accidentally left my door partially open, left the DVD player on over a couple days time with no driving, etc. Ran the battery all the way down. Charge it up, drive the car, and it is just fine again. Takes a lickin and keeps on tickin. My personal opinion: this battery kicks ass.

Tom

#5 ·
can you jump it like a regular battery?

#7 ·
I've had my Yellow Top Optima about 16-18 months now. No problems whatsoever. No leaking. Nothing. It's one helluva battery. I kept going through the stock Mitsu batteries like every other 6-7 months. They all leaked like crazy. No more headaches with the Yellow Top Optima now. Plus, I can pretty much listen to music even when the car's not running without worrying about running the battery down. Highly recommend it. I paid $190 for mine.

#8 ·
I'm pretty sure the problem is fixed now. That's why I said supposedly. I've never heard of a Yellowtop failing because of that. But if you want it to be warrantied, you can't use it for a starting battery. You should use a red top if you only get use one battery. If you add a second, then use a Yellow top.

#9 ·
I was told by an Advance auto employee that the yellow tops will not fit in a eclipse or talon, therefore resulting in me buying the red top. That pisses me off because I am upgrading my system and need that extra power. No problems yet with the red top I love it but I would prefer the yellow.....

#10 ·
i have never heard of this red top battery, what is different about it?

and why would you prefer a yellow top over a red top?

someone said if you run only one battery you should get a red top, just wondering what the difference is.

also what is the advante of a yellow or red top over a regular die hard battery or something similar ?

#11 ·
red is just a little bit cheaper (liek 20-30 dollars) then the yellow but i cant figure out how to say it..it has "less power" or something, so you cant sit in your car as long with stuff on, it still is a very long time though

#12 ·
the yellow is a deep cycle battery that is gel filled and is made more for systems and more power output. The red top is a good starting battery, not a bad battery.

#13 ·
ok so yellow just is better then a red top

and yellow and red top are a gel cell and regular car batteries and wet i think with a liquid.

so basically they just hold more power and last longer so they are better then a regular battery

hold a charge just as long, last just as long, and are stronger?

do they have crank power such as what the diehards and such are rated as?

#14 ·
If you are considering a optima battery, you should also look into the stinger batteries. They make all shapes and sizes of them and they are very good batteries.

#15 ·
yes the stinger batteries are good also, I just am able to get optima batteries on discount. The red top is a very good starting battery as it lists in its info. I have never had starting problems, leaking problems, they last for a long time without the engine on and will jump start like any other battery and recharge great. A good investment and will save you money in the long run in my opinion.

#16 ·
what are the differences between stinger and yellow top?

could someone please link me to the websites for both of these batteries?

and also the red one?

I kill my battery to much listenting to the radio and such hehe

#17 ·
#18 ·
Another option is the Spiral cell batt. from exide(its basicly the same as an optima red top) I got mine from Checker(or kragen, or shucks depending on where you live) for about 140$ it hasn't given me any problems sence I got it 3 months ago and I even left my light on in my car at work(8 1/2 hrs) and my car still started right up. It fits in fine(the battery was like 1/2" taller than stock) and has almost double the CCA my stock battery did. I would sugest this battery to any one as a good replacement for a red top, espicaly if red tops are over priced in your area(as they are in mine 170$ for one).

#19 ·
By far the Optima was the worst battery I ever owned. I had the yellow top and used to run a large audio system in my car. The problem was that the battery always wanted to be charged and therefore killed my alternator. After my alt. died twice in 6 months, I removed it and switched back to a Sears Diehard. That was 3 years ago, not one problem since.

The alternator shop that did my rebuilds said that the only way to prevent alternator damage, was to take the battery out, run it on a trickle charge for a couple days and test it for voltage. If everything checked out, put it back in and try again. Everything did check out and I tried it again and that was how the second alternator was killed.

You can fit a yellow top battery in a 1G, I don't know about 2G. I had to cut out the left side of the battery box and it fit. I would imagine that it would be the same fix for 2G.

I would never reccomend this battery for daily driving due to my experiences with it. Maybe they are designed better now. Who know's?:rolleyes:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.