DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner

Crank but no start after 4g63 swap

10K views 18 replies 11 participants last post by  HOT97ECLIPSEGSX 
#1 ·
I got everything I know done and when I try to start it only cranks. It also sounds kind of weak its a 93 talon. Where should I look for a solution at?

#3 ·
Unless you have a tuning device you need an ECU that matches the injectors your motor has. What did you swap from? Was it a 1.8? And is the 4g63 na or turbo?

Although there is a good chance you have the wrong ecu, the car should at least turn over and then (worst case) idle bad and stall.

Do you get spark? Fuel? Compression? Those are the only reasons it might not kick over. Maybe CAS? Also you said different harness... did the old one plug right in or is there stuff not attached?

#7 ·
when it started it runs real rough and vibrates. it doesn't seem to have much power. there are a couple vacuum hoses i don't know where to hook up coming out the thermostat housing and one other hosed on the intake manifold that has no hose attached. any suggestions?

#11 ·
there are a couple vacuum hoses i don't know where to hook up coming out the thermostat housing
How did you manage to get the engine in yourself? Honestly, no offense, but from saying something like that, I'd suggest you have a local DSM'er come take a look at your car and fix up all the issues. He/she can show you what everything does and where it goes.

#12 ·
I realize just about everyone has blocked their egr and don't have the vac lines going to the thermostat housing (for that temp sensor) but it's funny to see people not even remember they used to be there.

Although the OP is clearly confused it isn't helping him to tell him he doesn't know what he's doing.

Here are some vac diagrams that should help you see what is what:
http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/art...-speed-shop-vacuum-diagram-removal-1g-2g.html

If a vac hose isn't connected you are just creating boost leaks.

Things to double check:
Make sure the FPR vac hose connects to the intake manifold where it should be.
Make sure the BOV is connected where it should be.
Make sure the wastegate is tapped directly off the jpipe (right after the turbo compressor side)
Just about all the other vac lines can be capped off. If you still have an EGR those vac lines from the thermostat housing need to be connected as shown in the diagram.

There's tons of other things to check also such as that your firing order is correct and that you are using a 1g ecu, and correct size injectors (should be 450 for stock).

#13 ·
He is right I don't know much more than the basics but I got the engine in and ran a new wiring harness also. That being said I don't know what FPR vac is, BOV is, or CAS and it's a non turbo 6 bolt engine. I checked the fuel and the spark. How do I check the compression. I haven't timed it yet but it feels like it's completely missing cylinder maybe even two.

#14 ·
FPR = Fuel Pressure Regulator
BOV = Blow Off Valve (You don't have with a non turbo)
CAS = Camshaft Angle Sensor

Which cylinders aren't firing? And do you have a Check Engine light on?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.