DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner

Which Boost Gauge Should I Get?

2K views 26 replies 21 participants last post by  pinder91 
#1 ·
I have a 1995 GS-T with no mods excluding the HKS Turbo Timer which I do not count. I do not plan on doing anything too excessive. However before I start with anything more than cleaning out the old IC I wanted to put in a boost/vacuum gauge. Was figuring 30/0/25. However I wanted something fairly accurate but inexpensive. I can not justify paying 130-300 for a gauge. I have read mixed reviews about the Autolite gauges. Some say they work really well others have said they always have a tendency to read 3 psi under where they should. Anyone have any experience with the gauges they care to share? Models to avoid and models to go for? Thanks.

#2 ·
empty01 said:
I have a 1995 GS-T with no mods excluding the HKS Turbo Timer which I do not count. I do not plan on doing anything too excessive. However before I start with anything more than cleaning out the old IC I wanted to put in a boost/vacuum gauge. Was figuring 30/0/25. However I wanted something fairly accurate but inexpensive. I can not justify paying 130-300 for a gauge. I have read mixed reviews about the Autolite gauges. Some say they work really well others have said they always have a tendency to read 3 psi under where they should. Anyone have any experience with the gauges they care to share? Models to avoid and models to go for? Thanks.
Any autometer gauge works fine. I would think this is the most popular brand of gauges out there.

#3 ·
Although Autometer may be popular I have heard they are not accurate. Not just with boost but their other gauges are not accurate as well. Apex, Greddy, Defi, HKS are all good and have heard they are accurate.

#4 ·
10secdreams said:
Although Autometer may be popular I have heard they are not accurate. Not just with boost but their other gauges are not accurate as well. Apex, Greddy, Defi, HKS are all good and have heard they are accurate.
Depends...The gauges themselves are not usually inaccurate...But, for example, the autometer EGT might not be considered extremely accurate b/c of the probe it uses for info, as well as the oil press. gauge which has an inefficient sender unit....

I say stick with autometer....It's proven and cheap....Your gonna have to pay more for quality, but for the most part the $50 autometer's do the job fine...

#5 ·
I've always had autometer and never have any problems with it. Of course I don't have a second boost gauge to compare it to.

Since most of the brands mass produce their products, you'll ultimately find ones that don't work right in the bunch. Other problems could be the result of erroneous installation procedure.

Gus

#6 ·
ProjectSolo, that's what I was thinking as I read the negative reviews. It also strikes me it would not be the easiest thing to verify accuracy on a boost gauge without a second more accurate. I was also wondering if perhaps the installation for those with problems was done incorrectly like too much unsupported vacuum line which I understand to be a no-no. Now a harder question would be, is it a consistent accuracy, eg always 3 psi low, or is it inconsistent, eg seemingly random, or is it a curve, eg at 5 psi reads 4 at 10 psi read 8 or some such. I do not think it's likely anyone will know I'm just throwing it out there. Thank you all for your replies.

#7 ·
I run autometer, Its brand new but reads fine I think. I would of spent 300 on a defi or Apex boost guage, but I saved 220 bucks in buying one thats looks almost as good IMO.

Autometer Carbon Fibre 0-30psi

#8 ·
empty01 said:
ProjectSolo, that's what I was thinking as I read the negative reviews. It also strikes me it would not be the easiest thing to verify accuracy on a boost gauge without a second more accurate. I was also wondering if perhaps the installation for those with problems was done incorrectly like too much unsupported vacuum line which I understand to be a no-no. Now a harder question would be, is it a consistent accuracy, eg always 3 psi low, or is it inconsistent, eg seemingly random, or is it a curve, eg at 5 psi reads 4 at 10 psi read 8 or some such. I do not think it's likely anyone will know I'm just throwing it out there. Thank you all for your replies.
One very obvious thing you can use to check the correctness of the boost gauge is by simply looking at it without removing it from the box. If it reads anything different from 0 boost (assuming this is analogue), you should definitly put it back on the rack.

The problems with installing the boost gauge would come from the vaccuum line being bent or snugged up. There's a nut on the back that should lock the line with the inner mechanism, but if that's loose the reading may be off.

I don't have experience with the calibration of such device. To really find out, a second gauge is necessary, but who's to say the second gauge isn't off either.

Gus

#9 ·
Good point Gus. I think if you're close to sea level the gauge should in theory read a little higher than an elevated position (higher atmospheric pressure and all). I think I will go with the Autolite and use it as a baseline before mods. Regardless it should be fairly accurate to itself and because I'm not planning on running anything too obscene (not trying to get 25 psi just a faster spool and hopefully shave 1 sec off the stock 1/4 mile) I think I should be safe. Thank you all for the replies.

#12 ·
In the past I ran a Faze 30/30 Boost/Vac Gauge and was very pleased with it. It was kind of ricey looking I will admit. One thing about it was it felt really solid, compared to an Autometer Gauge I had in the past it seemed to be of higher quality for about the same price. It also came preinstalled with a Blue LED rather then an ugly 194 bulb.

Looking on Ebay the other day I also noticed that Megan Racing has gauges now as well, they might be worth a try since some of their other products have been well liked around here.

#18 ·
as far as accuracy goes i would say defi, my friend has boost, water temp, and oil pressure in his MR with the little box that records everything. a bit much, but the guages calibrate themselves everytime he turns the car on. however they are quit expensive cause its all electronic.

#20 ·
10secdreams said:

I have heard that autometer arent accurate as well but that is BS.

Even if the ones used in race cars of every kind are the higher end autometer gauges, they still know what they are doing. Get a mechanical Autometer boost gauge and tap it off of the FPR line on a 1g and i guess similar spot on the 2gs for an accurate reading. You can get a decent autometer gauge for a good 35-55 bucks. That number includes used and ebay figures. spend an extra 10 bucks and you end up with a good product.

#25 ·
IvanTalon said:
I'm too searching for gauges and i was looking at the Stweart Warner gauges (oilp.,EGT,Vac/Boost) they good look and some people have told me that they are better than the autometer's i searched but havent find any replys about them if you find out tell me :D :rolleyes:
my buddy just put a Stewart Warner boost gauge in his evo and its read fine and looks good. they also are close to the stock guage cluster colors.

#26 ·
JungulSouljah said:
what about the ones on eBay by a company called GlowShift?? :confused:
I have a glowshift boost, oil press., and volt gauge in my car and I am pleased with it. It seems to be accurate as far as I can tell and was really cheap compared to the other brands. You can change them to different colors by the click of a button. I think it looks really nice.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.