DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner

BMTranny.com

3K views 29 replies 13 participants last post by  omneclipse 
#1 ·
Just got my 90 GSX back from BMTranny. They just finished a complete rebuild with a Four Spyder Diff., Double Syncro 2nd Gear, and Billit Shift Forks.

I was lucky enough to live only an hour from them. So, I was able to drop off my car on a Friday and get it back on a Tuesday!!!!! :eek:

IMO, there a great bunch of guys. Honest, and know what there doing.

#2 ·
Always good to read this when your tranny (also from a 90 GSX) is sitting in the garage waiting to be shipped to BMTranny.

How does it feel now? What was it doing before?

My synchros for first and second were going south and the center diff ate itself sometime before I bought it...

Blake

#3 ·
My 2nd and 3rd gear syncros were shot. Only problem was, my car is an early 90. So, they had to upgrade the 1st and 2nd gear shaft. Wich was an extra $280. I haven't really beat the piss outta of it yet. Keith said to wait at least 100 miles and change to some BG Syncro Shift, then go to town.

It was a night and day difference, I can actually shift as fast as I want to, going into 2nd or 3rd now. :eek: That was unheard of before in my car. You will not be dissapointed.

#8 ·
I have a '90 FWD.....the tranny needs to be rebuilt/replaced.....
should i goto BMTranny or T.R.E.? and why should i goto one over the other? what can i do to "beef" up the tranny? besides BG fluid and jap. spec forks and the LSD? (Qualiffe=very $$)

#10 ·
talon4u2nv said:
I have a '90 FWD.....the tranny needs to be rebuilt/replaced.....
should i goto BMTranny or T.R.E.? and why should i goto one over the other? what can i do to "beef" up the tranny? besides BG fluid and jap. spec forks and the LSD? (Qualiffe=very $$)
BMTranny has a lot faster turn around time than TRE.

#15 ·
Yeah, my 92 awd is starting to crunch in 2nd and sometimes 1st. My heart just sinks when i hear that :(. well how much does it cost to drop the tranny, ship a tranny from iowa to B&M (where are they?), and get my crunching to go way? OH, and it only takes about a week?? dang.

#18 ·
NIX_92_Tsi_AWD,

Shipping info:

1. Remove excess stuff; clutch fork, trans mounts, reverse switch, shifter cable bracket, speedometer pulse generator (2nd gen only) and ground wire. If you don't want it leave it one the trans.

2. Make sure the trans is drained of all oil and place the trans inside of a couple trash bags. UPS won't accept it if it leaks oil. Tip the trans onto the end cover and allow the mystery quart of oil to drain out.

2a. DRAIN THE OIL!! UPS WILL NOT BUY YOU A NEW TRANS IF THE BOX FAILED FROM OIL CONTAMINATION OR FROM INADEQUATE PACKAGING SO DO YOUR BEST JOB AND I'LL DO MINE.

3. Ship the trans in a 24" x 24"x 24" double wall box. Boxes like this can be bought at most office supply stores or U-Haul / Ryder type places.

4. This is very important. I know this sounds like a PITA and it is but trust me, you do not want your trans to get damaged during shipping. It will take weeks to find out that UPS will not buy you a new trans or a single part that was damaged. Styrofoam peanuts will not support the weight of the trans and it will end up on the bottom of the box without proper protection so use something on the bottom.

5. Place a 24" x 24" piece of plywood in the bottom of the box and a bunch of bubble wrap or an old blanket on the bottom and sides to protect the transmission during shipping.

UP arrows might insure that it doesn't get mishandled during shipping.

A FWD transmission weighs 120 and an AWD weighs about 135 lbs and will cost about $60-80 for shipping. Don't forget to insure the trans for at least $1500.00

6. Please include your full name, where you want it shipped, phone numbers, email address and a description of what is wrong so I can have an idea on what I'm working on.

#19 ·
Hey, thanks alot! ill write that down... seeing as its not that bad but ive been toldit will get worse.

when u say"and a description of what is wrong so I can have an idea on what I'm working on." u mean u work at BM? where is it at? thanks again.

#24 ·
omneclipse said:
I already did once and broke my diff again, and this time I decided to just send it out and get a waranty on it. And its alot easier than trying to hunt down all the parts. The parts are the expensive part anyways. Not much labor in ripping a tranny apart.
Dude that's not your fault, well it is in a way. Replacing a stock diff with a stock diff is like putting in a few extra rounds into the revolver during a game of Russian Roulette.

Im assuming you put in another stocker, if not disregard ;)

#26 ·
Turbo20lbs said:
You guys are all pussies, you should try doin your own trans work.
It's all overated......like gettin a blow job from a chic with a tongue ring, yeah it feels better, but it ain't that big of a deal.
Dave, do me a favor and STFU. Youre allways crying about something.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.