DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner

So why the hell did battery acid spray everything under my hood?

12K views 31 replies 16 participants last post by  1badgvr4 
#1 ·
Sup guys, I justr put in a BRAND new battery today and terminals and has replaced my alternator about a month ago.

I drove the car around today on a hot day for about 2 hours applying for jobs so it was alot of driving..and it ran just fine. I park the car at my house and pop the hood to let it cool down a bit faster and I notice...WTF this cap from my battery is completely blown off and there is acid sprayed all over the top of the hood (Not a stupid amount but you can see where it ate the paint).

*This isnt my actual battery but one of those caps that say "danger poison etc" was blown off and I found it in the engine bay.
I have no clue how long I was driving it liek this BUT WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON HERE!, car was running fine and had no voltage issues going on. I did notice my windows were rolling up extra fast:confused: , but AHHH What the hell.

I wiped up most of the acid with somewater and there is minimal damage but still help!!

See less See more
#2 ·
baking soda and water will take it out. I dont think only water will kill the acid. Damn you have some bad luck with yours DSM's.

#7 ·
Sean485 said:
Faulty voltage regulator. Requires replacement/rebuild of the alternator.

Yea either check voltage at the battery while you rev. My old Probe had the regulator go bad and it had a volt meter on the dash. At anything less than 3k rpm it would read normal. After that it would go up to 18v, then things started turning off; the radio, the dash lights. Once you would bring the revs back down everything would come back on. (Oh yea, wear safety glasses and a long sleeve shirt while you do this, just in case it blows again :) )

Or take the alt. out and go to the 'Zone and get 'er tested.

Bryan

#8 ·
There is a good posibility that your alternator is over charging. I once saw a VW Jetta that was over charging and the battery semi-exploded and covered the engine bay with acid. I also had a Merc Grand Marquis that was over charging that fried the ecu, ip cluster, and the radio. I would get the alt tested for correct output, voltage and amperage.

#11 ·
Okay I just turned it on and in less than a minute I witnessed the other cap BLOW off and liek shot itself out of the engine bay. Im going to go get a multimeter..FUCKKKK

#13 ·
White91TalonTsi said:
Okay I just turned it on and in less than a minute I witnessed the other cap BLOW off and liek shot itself out of the engine bay. Im going to go get a multimeter..FUCKKKK

step 1. pull alternator
step 2. have it tested
step 3. buy new alternator or battery.

#15 ·
Fucking Fuck now I dont have a car to drive around again :rolleyes:

Ill pull it off tomorrow and see if my mom can drive to get it tested:rolleyes: , I just got a new alternator and battery so FUCK FUCK dizz you let me down!

:wall:

#17 · (Edited)
I dont get why you sound so angry over something very common on this cars?
The first time my alt took a dump on me i had a 1200w sony explode with no cap so i figure it was normal and installed a rebuild one from a friend. six months after, It went bad again , So this time i get a new battery along with a alt from the junk yard that tested good . Sure thing after four months goes bad. Again ,A new battery and a "new" rebuild alt and only after 2k of driving it fried!,Althought this last time im using a o2 housing eliminator dp from dejon and it is a tight fit .
Now a new ecu, rebuild alt rewired it with 4ga wire pos+ and neg-, And build a heat shield, because i dont have enought money for a relocation kit. So far so good:D

#21 ·
Well I walked 5K with 2 alternators in my hand to get them tested, wow that was hard. Turns out the one has a bad voltage regulator.

Threw my old (good) alt that was tested and I fixed the problem :)

On the drive though my cars not going into gear like at all and theres a loud whining and gringding when I depress the clutch...FUCKKKK DSM!

#23 ·
White91TalonTsi said:
Sup guys, I justr put in a BRAND new battery today and terminals and has replaced my alternator about a month ago.

I drove the car around today on a hot day for about 2 hours applying for jobs so it was alot of driving..and it ran just fine. I park the car at my house and pop the hood to let it cool down a bit faster and I notice...WTF this cap from my battery is completely blown off and there is acid sprayed all over the top of the hood (Not a stupid amount but you can see where it ate the paint).

*This isnt my actual battery but one of those caps that say "danger poison etc" was blown off and I found it in the engine bay.
I have no clue how long I was driving it liek this BUT WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON HERE!, car was running fine and had no voltage issues going on. I did notice my windows were rolling up extra fast:confused: , but AHHH What the hell.

I wiped up most of the acid with somewater and there is minimal damage but still help!!
You know this makes me begin to wonder about Interstate batteries. I work at my local AutoZone and just the other day a woman came in and her battery was doing the same thing. It was swollen so bad it was about to pop. Man I would suggest having your alternator tested to make sure its not charging too much and find another brand of battery.

#24 ·
I fixed the problem almost...its still at 15.1V when driving...overcharging still but not exploding battery tops...

Now my trannys fucked and I cant even drive the car and I have no money :rolleyes:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.