DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner

95 mitsubishi eclipse gst no spark?????

8K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  OZeclipse99DSM 
#1 ·
i rebuilt the motor (4g63) and put it back in an turnded it over but no spark. it has brand new crank and cam sensors. use at volt meter and im getting 12.68 at the bottom plug of the coils. the connector is getting 12.69 at the single wire at the point of the triangle connector when the key is turned to the on position. the other two wires to the connector has 0 volts when key is on or turning over is this right??? im not getting any spark to the plugs what so ever. what could be the problem ????:confused: could it be the coils??:thinking:

#2 ·
Ah, yes. So your saying your not getting any spark to any plugs correct? And what "connector are you talking about? The one that goes to your coil pack that is on the side of the coils?

#3 ·
i can help you with any common sense things but Im not familiar with the 4g63s Im more a fan of all motor 420a's. I know the design of the coil/coil pack is different on both engines but every coil/distributor/coil pack has basically the same operation. You need to make sure your getting power to the coils. If you are..you need to make sure your spark plug wires are good. Which usually they never go bad all at once unless you had them soaking in brake fluid lol. I am going to guess you need a new coil. Now that wire that is getting power, is probably just a standard power wire to power the coils. Dont quote me on that because Im not familiar with your power plant but on the 420a it's like that. On the 420a i dont get any power to any of those other wires/plugs until i am cranking the motor over. Those cause the plugs to spark. If they had power well the key was just in the on position than your plugs would be trying to spark. Have you pulled the wires off and shoved paper clips in there. After cranking the motor you should see that the paper clips are fried. That would tell you you are or are not getting spark for sure.

#5 ·
YES! Listen to sleeps. Sounds like a timing issue now that i think about it. It doesn't cause much to make your car not start. When the timings off you can still get spark but your car may still not start. Pull your plug wires out, shove paper clips in there or tell your little brother to put his finger in there, and crank it over. Check the paper clips or the little brother's finger to see if there burnt. If they are then your getting spark. SLEEPS: "being rebuilt" i find it funny that you "rebuilt" your motor but don't know how to fix this little issue. hmmm.

#6 ·
SLEEPS: "being rebuilt" i find it funny that you "rebuilt" your motor but don't know how to fix this little issue. hmmm.
Engine building and troubleshooting are totally different skills.

That being said, search how to test your coil pack and signal wires. OR you could go the easier way and pull the boots out, put a spark plug in each one, and have a friend crank over the car. The plugs should fire if the coil is OK. If they do fire and the car still won't turn over, check the ignition timing AND the cam timing. Good luck.

#7 ·
They are different skills but who would rebuild a motor if they didn't know how to set the timing. Then the car is never going to start.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.