DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner

Gm 3in mass Descreen?? take honey comb out?

2K views 25 replies 15 participants last post by  Bigfoot 
#1 ·
I just got a 3in Gm maf for my ramchargers translator, should I take the honey comb part out? or will it ruin it, let me know

#5 ·
When I bought my car, my honeycombs were all missing... and my didn't run that great.
Since then I've gotten a 2g MAS but I can't tell whether it's running any better cuz my turbos blown :(
I won't take your honeycombs out tho, you can do it and your car will still run, but frequencies are measured by the honeycomb vibration... your ECU probably won't be able to measure the correct intake without them. Do a search from the DSM links on the homepage to see whether its a good idea or not. Hacking it can be useful, but IMO don't take the honeycombs out

#6 ·
He's not talking about our mass air sensors though. The GM maf has an actual screen, similar to what you'd see in a house window in a sense, not honeycombs. Removing it allows 40cfm more flow if I remember correctly. Any changes that may make with the maf calculations can be corrected with the translator though. Many guys run with out the screen.

#7 ·
Thats not how it works with the GM maf, I have a bunch of them and already removed all the screens. The combs are just a big restriction, all the Chevy and Buick guys do it. It's only there so straighten out the airflow, and to save GM's ass if some idiot decides to run without an airfilter.

#8 ·
So are a lot of people trying the GM mas? is there a real market for it?

#9 ·
I know about 5 or so New England DSM people who already have it on thier cars, and about 15 who are compiling the parts to complete the project. The whole GM MAF/Translator is becoming VERY popular, that'd probably be why ramchargers is running out of the DSM translators every other week. I have a few mafs sitting on the bedroom floor waiting to be polished and put on the trader, and I should be ordering the translator sometime soon.

The only problem is mounting it as a blow through setup, I'm really anal about keeping a clean engine bay and don't want to ghetto rig piping for the maf to reach the stock smic. It'd be nice if dejon or brode would take the time to make a pipe that routed back to the SMIC.

#11 ·
Dejon does offer UIC pipes for the stock sidemount location..

http://www.dejontool.com/DSM-1g-SMIC.htm

I think he also offers pipes to accomodate a blow through GM MAF for FMIC's.

Hope this helps.

#12 ·
jprescott said:

Hope this helps.
Wow that is pretty badass. That along with an RRE FMIC would be sweet.

#13 ·
i'm thinkin i'll probably switch to the GM after i do my exhaust....

is there any difference in using the blow-through setup, as opposed to keeping it where our stock MAS is? aside from being able to vent to the atmosphere.... (which doesn't have any inherent gains, right?)

#14 ·
jprescott said:

Hope this helps.
Thanks, but I already got a set of dejon pipes on the 2G :) I'm just waiting for someone to make a blow through pipe for the stock smic for the 2g's. That 1g maf piping doesn't look too bad either.

#15 ·
Bifkin said:
i'm thinkin i'll probably switch to the GM after i do my exhaust....

is there any difference in using the blow-through setup, as opposed to keeping it where our stock MAS is? aside from being able to vent to the atmosphere.... (which doesn't have any inherent gains, right?)
I haven't really heard of any factual gains, but a lot of opinions. Most people think blow through would be a better idea becuase the turbo wouldn't have to pull the air through the maf sensor because it'd be a restriction and would cause spool to be slower. Having it in blow through also eliminates alot of metered air boost leak problems.

#16 ·
MaNGiNa24 said:

I haven't really heard of any factual gains, but a lot of opinions. Most people think blow through would be a better idea becuase the turbo wouldn't have to pull the air through the maf sensor because it'd be a restriction and would cause spool to be slower. Having it in blow through also eliminates alot of metered air boost leak problems.

i see what you're saying, but those MAF's are very UNrestrictive from what i've seen...

i think any differences would be neglegable.... but i'm no expert.... :D

#18 ·
The screen is on there for a reason guys.. I know that in the stock Ford MAF's when you remove the screen u actually lose HP.. The aftermarket MAF's dont come with them tho.. Its all about how they are metered.. I dont know about the GM style but i wouldnt take it out if i was you based on the less restriction + more airflow = more power theory.. Have some actual dyno numbers before & after the screen was removed before you go ahead and give that kind of advice..

#19 ·
Kwik GSeX said:
Have some actual dyno numbers before & after the screen was removed before you go ahead and give that kind of advice..
Like stated before, GM guys do it all the time, and they have been messing with them long before it was thought up to put a GM MAF on a DSM. It's been done for a while now, and obviously been done for a reason. The aftermarket MAFS are nothing but a less restrictive casing, same sensor and all.

#20 ·
I remember reading on the Translator list that it is OK to remove the screen. Personally, I would leave mine on.. I'm a geek like that...

#22 ·
Anyone ever thought whats good for the goose might NOT be good for the gander? Just cause it works on the GM cars doesnt necessarily mean it will work on the DSM.. Im just saying before you go ahead and give that advice dont go by "Well the GM Guys have been doing it for years so its ok to do it on a DSM" Dont forget they use a COMPLETELY different type of metering system than the DSM.. DOES anyone have dyno numbers? And the aftermarket meters use different ways of tricking the computer into thinking it has different airflow numbers coming in so the rest of the FI system will work properly with it.

#23 ·
The measuring system is not really that much different. Both sensors output frequency to the ECU. The screen removal is OK it should not cause any major problems on some cars I have had report of rough idle when the fan turns on but that is about it for problems
Mike Licht

#25 ·
I'm interested in finding out which maf you are using as well. I'm also intersted in trying this on a 2g. And as far as teh screen goes, i've heard of some poeple saying it helped, and others saying it hurt the performance of the car. When it comes down to it, every car is different. I jstu want to see this thing how to tune it, and what exactly it does.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.