DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner

Differences between FWD and AWD suspension... PLEASE HELP!

3K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  Aves911 
#1 ·
Hey guys I was wondering if you could tell me exactly what the differences are between AWD shocks/springs, and normal shocks/springs off of a FWD non-turbo. I'm going to sell my TSi and my buddy with a Laser RS and I are trying to find out if I can just swap my aftermarket Springs shocks and KYB springs into his car. Also, I know front shocks/springs are the same between FWD and AWD, but what is the difference between FWD and AWD in the back? Is it spring rate or what? Please let me know AWAP, and thanks alot!

#3 ·
The AWD's require higher spring rates to compensate for the AWD drivetrain and the the 1G FWDs utilize non-indendent 3-link twist beam in the rear. 1G AWDs have a rear independent setup. So yes, the 1G FWD and the 1G AWD have totally different rears.

#4 ·
The rear shocks are totally different between FWD and AWD. Plus AWD sit up a little higher than FWD so aftermarket AWD springs have a greater drop than corresponding FWD springs plus the spring rate is different because AWD are heavier, blah blah blah.

Bottom line, can switch the fronts but not the rears

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.