DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner

1g AWD sub

1K views 17 replies 6 participants last post by  devlish 
#1 ·
I was wondering if you could use a enclose truck box with 2-10" sense the 1g awd tire and hump takes up all the space!! Has anyone done this? If so does it sould nice. I was thinking you could lay the box flat with the speakers facing up. I know this has been discuss and most people get your box custom made but wouldn't this be the easiest?

#2 ·
I dont know if AWD and FWD have the same space, but i'm making a box for mine like this:

The side of the box closest to the seat is 16" high, the opposite side (closest to the back of the car) is 12" Then have 1 large piece slant up and put the 2 10's facing up and towards the back.

#4 ·
i just built a custom box holding 1 10" for my AWD. it tucks neatly in the rear passengar side corner of the hatch. it would be just as simple to make one for the other side, so i could have 2 subs in there. but all i wanted was 1 for a little extra punch. plus, i didn't want to weight down my iceracing car too much!

BTW, i'm used to having the $3.5k system in the other car, so i needed a little something in my winter car too!

if this topic is still open in a week or so, i'll post some pics. if not, email me if your interested in seeing how well it fit.

#5 ·
Thank guys for the input but, what about my question about putting in a truck box that will hold 2-10"s with around the same air space as a basic enclose box. In the AWD the spare tire is about 4to 5 inches above the rest of the trunk. I was thinking about just laying the box down with the speakers facing up. What do you guys think? That will be cheaper than paying someone to build me a 200.00 dollar box!!

#7 ·
in answer to your original question: YES, any box will work. just find a truck box with the correct air space for your subs and lay them however you want. make sure that you mount them down securely. (but won't two truck boxes look goofy in the trunk of an AWD DSM?)

or build the box yourself and it only costs about $30

#8 ·
If it cost about 20 bucks to build my own box then I should look into it. Why does these audio store charge like 160-200 buck to build one. Where can I buy the materials including the carpet.

#9 ·
by a 4x8 board of HDF($20) or MDF($12) from Menards or wherever. 2" Screws ($3) Silicone tube ($0.99). Walmart has trunk carpeting ($9) and 3M Spray Glue ($8) that's a total of $33.00 or so. asuuming you have a drill, saw, measuring device and cualk gun, your all set.

make sure you build the box to the correct specs for your speakers. there is somewhat of a science to it. i'm sure you have at least one friend who has done this before, and will give you some pointers if your stuck or clueless. otherwise, befriend one of the local stereo guys, and tell him your building your own and ask for ideas. usually they'll give you hints and ideas about building boxes.

good luck!

Question: why do they charge $200???
Answer: labor

plan on spending some quality time w/ this project.

#11 ·
SuperChrisp Tsi: check out home.g2a.net/~devlish
go to Members Rides and click on my car. there are a few interior shots in there. not much though. and that's all i have. there is one that is larger, and shows somewhat of how it looked. the picture was taken before i finished all the trim panels though.

i'd go take more for you, honestly i would... however.... i just ripped all of it out becuase i'm redoing it this winter. i could show you pics of the equipment sitting in my basement if you'd like J/K

i'm picking up 3 brand new Alpine V-12 amps, and the entire bottom of the box will be lexan as well. the amps will be underneath the front half of the box, and the distribution blocks and 1 Farad Cap will be in the spare wheel well. all visible through the 1" lexan bottom. i hope it turns out as nice as this one did!! lots of work, but we'll see! i'll keep this post updated! w/ pics as i go hopefully! (and yes, they are 1/4" thick, 3" diameter lexan ports as well)

#13 ·
i'm planning on going next year w/ both cars. i gotta talk my buddy into driving one or the other down there for me though. i don't know if he's up for a weekend road trip. i planned on going this year, but a few other things came up. looking forward to next year though!

thanks for compliments, much appreciated!

#14 ·
This has been done to death, but my best comment is find an audio shop and figure out how much boom you need. For example, a pair of solid 8" subs where the rear 6x9's go and a pair of good 6.5's in the doors will give some nice push, but nothing like a big pair of subs. :) Typically 1 10" is also not much less then 2 10's, and often 1 12 isnt much less then 2 12's and often 1 12 isnt even much less then 3 12's. Because at some point, enough is enough. I had a pair of Jensen XS at 300rms and 500max, and that wasnt enough for me personally, but switching to a more efficient pair of 10's though is better IMO then a pair of 12's. Sure you dont get as much ultra low(but with some 10's you do!) but i think it's good enough. But the key is how much boom you want.

Tip: Find out how much you want at first, as figuring it out two, three, or 4 times gets expensive!!

:)

#15 ·
Devish

Your box in the pics looks perfect. Did you make it yourself or have someone else make it. That is basicly what all of the audio shops were talking about making and I thought hell might as well buy a dual enclose truck box and save 150 bucks. All that box is a flatter, more rectrangler shape box. I am not really to concern about what the box looks like-vs-if it will fix into my trunk. Does anybody know if that kind of box is on sale in the audio market.

#16 ·
lol, 200$ for a coustom box? try like 900+ around here. if you went fiber glass it would be even more. I just build them my self, in fact I am about to start on a coustom box for one 10 for my talon(got to love it 10 lbs for one 10" - Illusion audio) my whole system will only weigh about 180 lbs(we are talking everery thing-sub amp, midd amp, mids, midbass, sub, box, head unit, cd changer, signal processor, sound deading- everything)

#17 ·
900 bucks. Damn I thought I was getting rip.

#18 ·
Yes, i built the box myself. i cannot afford to pay someone else to do it, so i learned myself. i had the lexan cutting done by a friend on a CNC machine (the sub holes and port holes) but the rest was done by me.

go up a few posts, and i typed my plans for next spring. should be interesting!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.