DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner

Car grinds on cold start.

996 views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  tsunari 
#1 ·
When I start my car in the morning, my car will give a screaching grind for a second and then stop. I don't understand what it could be, and I have no idea. Any help would be great.

Also forgot to add that it's more grind than screach. I don't think it's an accessory belt, it sure doesn't sound like it, and like I said, it only lasts for a second and then stops.

for reference : 90 Turbo Laser

-rivet0r

#4 ·
Do you know where it may be coming from? My grind turned out to be the starter gear not retracting quick enough and so was grinding with the flywheel. So I replaced it with a Bosch, but in reality, I guess I could've just cleaned it up, lubed the shaft and put it back in. . .

#5 ·
tsunari said:
Do you know where it may be coming from? My grind turned out to be the starter gear not retracting quick enough and so was grinding with the flywheel. So I replaced it with a Bosch, but in reality, I guess I could've just cleaned it up, lubed the shaft and put it back in. . .
Did it only grind on a cold start? Mine only does it on a cold start, if it's warm, or just not freezing cold and has been sitting over night, it won't grind.

#6 ·
rivet0r said:

Did it only grind on a cold start? Mine only does it on a cold start, if it's warm, or just not freezing cold and has been sitting over night, it won't grind.
Hmmmm. . . thinking back . . . I guess it didn't matter whether it was cold or not. Something you can do . . .pop your hood when your stuff is cold and have someone start her up while you listen for the grind under the hood. If it sounds like it's coming from somewhere around your intake manifold or maybe even just to the left (passenger) side of the intake manifold, then it's probably the starter.

If that's not it - I will not even begin to speculate. Hope this helps narrow it down!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.