DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Egine idles at like, 50 rpm and CEL is on.

6K views 29 replies 12 participants last post by  burkgonzo 
#1 ·
I just got out from work, and went to crank it up. It started up just fine then immidiatly went down to approx 50 rpm, and was shaking very violently. Eventually, the CEL came on. I went home, looked in my repair book, and it started with spark plugs and wires, and even an air cleaner (my 14b has busted oil seals, so I thought that my air filter was clogged, due to the oil deposits). Spark plugs had a white ash on the arch, and my filter had debris. Bf, hooked up the diagnostic tool and it was stating the codes 0P100 and 0P300, which means MAF sensor and Cylinder Misfire. When the new parts were in, the car cranked up fine and was driving just fine for 2 minutes, and in the middle of driving, started back up. So, once Brandon gets off from work, we will be working on it together. We think it's the MAF, and other possibilities are, coil pack, EGR valve, catalitic convertor and rarely fuel injectors.

My question is, has anyone ever had this problem as well? And if you have, what would be your next step? Did your car ever backfire (mine did occasionally, and wasn't a very dramatic backfire)?

Thanks!

#3 ·
But with the CEL on, it's stating MAS error. So I'm wondering if it needs to be cleaned or if it needs to be replaced... I'm about to go back to the parking lot and check on it. I knew it was time for a tuneup, which is why I replaced all spark plugs and wires. Considering my car was backfiring as well, is beyond me. :/

#4 ·
Check to make sure the MAF is plugged in all the way. My MAF plug is semibroken and sometimes it comes off enough that is doesnt make a good connection. When that happens it runs similar to what you described.

#5 ·
Check that crank sensor as well, a buddy of mine was only running on two cylinders and very low rpm when his 7 bolt walked. Could even have been skipped timing on shutdown.

I've had it happen first hand. Drove to work 40miles, shut it off. Got out of work and wouldn't fire just backfired and popped. Checked everything but timing and it was nearing 1am so came back next day and tore it apart in the middle of a blizzard to find it jumped 6 teeth.

Put a new belt and tensioner on and drove on my merry way home. I recently took that head off that motor when i parted the car out and saw the ever slightest nicks in my piston tops. But i got away with murder.

#16 ·
Put a new belt and tensioner on and drove on my merry way home. I recently took that head off that motor when i parted the car out and saw the ever slightest nicks in my piston tops. But i got away with murder.

That is freaking awesome man. Skipping timing on a interference I4, sounds like a rebuild to me, any pics from when you tore it down? No Bent Valves?:eek::confused:

But to the OP Miss Spyder, It seems to lead to timing being off a few teeth. Just a heads up, any 4G63 I've worked on "very few", the plug wires don't Clip/Snap to the coil, like said above, they're just held on by the boot. Its the 420A that snaps in over the grove.

Good Luck.

#6 ·
Yeah, I just got back from looking at it at the Super Wal Mart parking lot (sighs), and it shot me the P0300 code, which I'm sure everyone is familiar with multiple misfire. The list that this code gave me are:
-faulty spark plugs/wires
-faulty coil pack
-faulty 02 sensor
-fuel injectors
-burned exhaust valve
-catalytic converter
-stuck/blocked egr valve/passages
-camshaft position sensor
-defective computer

I replaced the plugs with the usual NGKs, and BOSCH wires (best Autozone had), the 02 sensor is fairly new, as well as the camshaft position sensor. If the catalytic convertor was going bad, it would smell like rotten eggs, from my understaning.

In my repair manual, it says:
-Vacuum leak (possibility of a boost leak?)
-leaking egr valve
-spark plug and wires
-air filter clogged (which I replaced)
-fuel pump not delivering sufficient fuel to injection system
-leaking head gasket
-timing belt and/or pulleys worn
-camshaft lobes worn

What can I eliminate (besides the parts I replaced)? And, if it were my coil pack, would the car not even crank, anyway? Very odd, and I have been researching all day long about this.

If it was your timing belt (which I know it's getting about that time for mine to be replaced), would your pulleys have gone bad as well?

#10 ·
I try. To be honest, I was like, going insane without my car and started freaking out, locked my keys in there and locked the Suzuki keys, in there and had to get Brandon to pick me up and calm me down haha... I've had so many problems with this car, that it's gotten to where I laugh when something wrong goes on.

#20 ·
I've had so many problems with this car, that it's gotten to where I laugh when something wrong goes on.
Yup, that's a DSM for you. It doesn't even phase me when my cars crap out fireballs and die. I just grab a wrench and accept the fact that I own a DSM lol.

But it looks like your on the right track. Once you get the new coil, test out every piece of ignition equipment you can find. Then, if your still having issues, move to the timing belt.

Also, check your cam angle sensor & ignition timing. I've heard of a few coming loose and that could definitely mess with your ignition. Good luck

#11 ·
If I were you I would order some NGK wires or equivalent and take those Bosch wires back when they get there. I had those things on my car for about 5 min before I went to remove them and 2 of the wires held onto the spark plug pulling the metal all the way to the end of the boot making the boot not sit all the way down and hover about the valve cover.

But anyways backfireing is common to bad timing and you can roughly check your timing by pulling the top cover and lining up the harmonic balancer to the TDC on the bottom valve cover then matching the teeth on the cams.

#12 ·
I think you got a bad set or something. Did you use dielectric grease? On my old spyder my magnecore's took a shit and I used these from the local autozone. Not only did they make the best engagement to the plug head i've ever seen on our cars but the boots fit perfect and they never gave me any issues for the time i had the car ~4years. Running around on a 60-1 daily at 28psi. God that thing was laggy :eek:.

#13 ·
Lol, all I use is BOSCH. You must have gotten a bad set... But I think I discovered my problem, thanks to my bf. I'm waiting on my ignition coil pack to come in. Reason why we think this is it: The plug wires don't "pop" into place on the coil pack itself. SO I can barely touch the wire and it comes out. It's coming in later today, so I will keep you guys posted. :) Note: My first time EVER replacing the coil on this car. It's much different from my Mercedes lol.

#15 ·
dsm/4g63 plug wires don't "snap" into the coil pack. They just chill in the tubes, all that really keeps them in place is the boot that slides over.

And i hope you know i was agreeing with you, my post was in refference to what et93 said. BOSCH wires for a daily driven dsm are the shit.

#14 ·
This may also be from left field, but have you tried to make sure all the intercooler piping is good and tight. A buddy of mine had a 2g gst with the smic and greddy up pipe and that thing came off regularly and his car ran like ass, if at all, because of it. Just another thing to check.

#18 ·
Oh I know you agreed with me, lost spyder. :)
But I just went out with my ohmeter and checked my power transistor for the ignition system, and some beep, while others don't. All are supposed to beep. SO maybe that will fix it.

I didn't realize with DSM's, that the wires weren't supposed to "snap" with the ignition coil pack. I guess you learn something new everyday! :) Hopefully this will fix it. I've already spent too much on it anyway. :/

#23 ·
If you do need one shoot me a pm, i have more than a few.

#19 ·
Alright, can all of you do me a favor? Before I spend more money on a part... Test your ignition power transistor (ignition control module beside the coil pack) and test it with an ohm meter. Once you take the wiring harness off, there will be three prongs on the left and five on the right. Take the positive lead and touch the first one on the left an take the negative lead and test each o the five on the right. Let me know of the meter beeps sometimes and doesn't other times. Please do this for me! I will really appreciate it. :)

#22 ·
Yeah, but timing IS the ignition system. I want to check all the parts to make sure they are in operating order... If not, then I will look at it. Besides, I did take a look at the timing belt and it was fine, from what I would tell... This is a HUGE puzzle; to me, anyway.

#24 ·
Yeah, but timing IS the ignition system.
I think 90BLACKAWDTSI meant the mechanical timing. Even if the belt looks okay, it's possible to jump a tooth without doing any damage to the belt.

Like 90BLACK said, just check the marks on the cams while piston 1 is at TDC. It's pretty easy: Put a long screwdriver in the spark plug hole, turn the engine by hand until the screwdriver is at it's highest point, then check the cam marks. The piston comes to TDC twice so if they don't line up, rotate the crank another 360* and look again. If they never line up, you skipped a tooth. It's not an exact way of checking so don't be alarmed by minor misalignment, your looking for a pretty big difference in timing marks.

Did you install the new coil pack yet? Or are you still holding off until you get some numbers?

#26 ·
Well, as of right now, I'm waiting on Brandon to give me his control module, so I can see if that is the issue. He drives a 97 Talon TSi, so it's the same car, basically. He said he'll let me borrow his car parts instead of going out and speanding ridiculous amounts of money on something that may have needed one little part, that cost less than a hundred bucks. So I'm checking that this weekend... And seeing what I get. Then I'm checking everything else.

#27 ·
Ok, so I got the problem fixed. It was my ignition control module.

I knew something minor was my problem, and thank you for all of your advise guys!

As for you, Lost Spyder, I will be pm'ing you probably around Friday for one of these parts. I need to replace the one that Brandon gave me from his Talon TSi. The reason why I have to wait, is because that's when I get paid haha. Thanks for the offer, as well. :)

-Sara

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.