DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner

Cost of Clutch replacement?

41K views 17 replies 11 participants last post by  DervhaneGSX 
#1 ·
Hello,

I had my talon clutch stop working last week while driving home, I have it at a shop now being checked out. They are telling me it needs a new Clutch which im fine with.

However, I have not owned a DSM in quite a few years and never had to deal with a clutch replacement.

My question is, How much ball park run of the mill, does it cost to have a new clutch put in at a joe schmo shop?

I just want to be informed before I make any decisions to have work done.

Thanks

#3 ·
Well, I just got off the phone with the shop.. Only a mere 1025 dollars to replace the clutch. They said it would be 10 hours of labor, being its AWD and TURBO and more difficult to replace then the NT FWD models. *Shrug*

Being I already spent 75 bucks flat bedding it down there, I really dont want to pay to move it somewhere else to be looked at.

But I need it driving soon, so gave them the Go ahead. Guess a low interest credit card will get the job done for now, Sucks buying a car and 2 weeks later having the Clutch die.

#10 ·
I called 2 other shops in the local area that do clutch work, they are too quoting ballpark of 10 hours labor + parts..

So I don't have the ability to do it myself, And I need the car back in running action soon. So, ill spend the money and have a shop's backing incase something goes wrong with it.

#11 ·
I would personally order a clutch offline as Im sure they are charging you the same amount for an OEM clutch as you would pay for an ACT or equivilent. And then have them put it in. You will regret putting in a stock clutch if you ever decide to start making any real power.

And another option is find someone local who will do it out of their garage for cheaper. There are options, but they just may not be as convenient.

#13 ·
What part of NY are you located in? My buddy and I did my clutch in an hour and fifteen minutes on my lift.

#14 ·
I am sorry if I am unable to simply spend a weekend installing a clutch, with means to do so.

Two shops are quoting the same Labor and parts, What more should I do considering I need my daily driver back?

I only purchased the car for a winter beater, not a project, not a race car, a simple AWD car to get me through the winter.

If spending 1G gets this car through the winter, and to spring when I plan on reselling it, if I loose that 1g its done its job in giving me a winter car.

Thanks for the input thus far, Unfortunately, I must do what I must do to get my car back on the road.

Unless of course, someone wants a 1990 eagle talon Tsi Awd with 9k on the rebuilt motor in need of just a clutch to roll for 2900 bucks? =) in the Hudson valley area

#15 ·
A shop will tell you want they want to tell, the slower they do it the more money you have to pay out, get to know you DSM with somebody experienced and you will save alot of money! You will need a few tools and accessories buts its worth it, its real simple and they will make it as complicated as possible,if they tell you ten go back in three and you might catch them driving your car lol

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.