DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner

Brake Calipers

4K views 12 replies 5 participants last post by  caffeinetripp 
#1 ·
I'm in need of a new rear left brake caliper for the '90 Talon AWD. Apparently, no one in town has one and I need it rather quickly as this is my DD. However, I can find a '92 rear left AWD caliper within a day. So, what are the differences between the two?
I'm hopeful that the '92 will bolt up but I'm not holding my breath.

#2 ·
After a little more research I've come to the conclusion that the caliper mounting points are the same on the rear spindle. The rotor is the same as well. It appears that the only difference between the two calipers is what type of pad it takes. The '90's pad is short and fat while the '92+ is long and thin.
It might be doable to swap to '92 rear calipers along with the pads. We'll see come Monday night.

#5 ·
Ordered up the '92 rear caliper from work to see if there was any difference between the two. I didn't have the '90 rear caliper, so I was unable to get a good visual other than by memory.
I also took one of the '90 old brake pads and compared it to the '92 rear brake pads. They are the same thing in both stopping material, size, length, width, and backing plate nub. They have different part numbers though, and my guess would be one thing.
In '92, I believe, the front calipers got upgraded to dual piston calipers, thus changing the compound of the rear pads for less stopping force and more wear since there was more stopping force going to the front pads. The '90-'91 vehicles had only the single piston front calipers which means that there's more of a demand for better rear calipers to help slow down the weight of the vehicle. Ceramic pads are easier to get for the 1GA vehicles through my work anyway.

As for the rear calipers, the only difference I could see between the 1GB and 1GA calipers is the size of the bleeder valve. The 1GA is an M10x1.0 with a 35MM height.
This Friday I'll be doing the swap on the calipers, even after rebuilding the '90s, but no matter. Should be running me about $110 before core charge.
Pictures will be posted of course.

#6 ·
Just got the rear calipers swapped over from 1GA to 1GB. Easy as pie.

Besides needing the calipers (Part Number 19-1508 and 19-1509 A1 Cardone), I also picked up a quart of brake fluid to bleed the entire system, along with some screw on plugs for the rear brake hoses to stop a little more air getting into the system, which...kind of worked. In any case, if a person's willing, get some new brake bleeder screws for the front and nab up a packet or a bottle of anti-seize to put a dab on the bleeder screws as well.

First thing I did before installation was compare the two, of course.

As you can see in this picture the top of the 1GB caliper is considerably larger than the 1GA caliper along with having different casting stamps on the top. I noticed that when flipping them over...

The piston itself sticks out a little more than the 1GA's even though it is fully compressed.

In any case, here is the result of finding this information out.

Just as a side note, the pads from the 1990-1994 rear AWD are interchangeable, whether the part numbers are or not.
When I was checking this, the part numbers for the near best pads on hand were MKD533 (for the 1GB pads), the part number for the 1GA is C329 (I believe it's that one). The only difference between the two is the compound itself. Everything on the rear interchanges.
I have not yet checked to see if the parking brake cables will work or not since one side has snapped and the other is not doing so hot either. I'll be finding out when I pick up a set online.

#8 ·
Don't know about that last one though. :)

Welcome. I didn't find any information anywhere on either Talk or Tuners, let alone anywhere else on the internet, figured I might as well give it a shot and low and behold it works perfect. Just gave the car a test drive and the brakes are much more responsive. Makes me want to do the '93 front calipers with some slotted rotors and carbon metallic pads.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.