DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner

Rear motor mount snaped

5K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  chrit 
#1 ·
Ive snaped my rear motor mount as u can read the title, i think i can handle changing it my self, but i wanted to ask first befor doing it i know i have to lift the car up put it on jack stands and then lift the motor up and get a 17mm socket for the motor mount its self. my mechanic wants 400$ to change it so im wondering if theres more to it then just lifting the motor and unbolting it and putting the new one on. thanks again

#2 ·
Not really much to it, just getting to it which is the hard part. Support the engine with a jack and block of wood and then get busy. It may make it easier to remove some stuff thats in your way like the upper intercooler pipe or cold pipe, should make it a little bit easier.

#5 ·
I remove the battery and battery tray and do them right from the top, put a jack under the pan (with a block of wood on the jack to avoid denting the pan) and start loosening the mount bolt that goes through the center of the mount, if resistance is found when you try to slide the bolt out then put pressure on the jack or remove it until the bolt slides right out without any tension on it, after that remove the other mount bolts and pivot the mount right up and out of there.

#6 · (Edited)
If you really want easy access to the mount, just remove the head. Then you can lean right in there with plenty of elbow room.

You shouldn't need to jack the engine until your trying to line the bolts up. The other 3 mounts will hold the engine until the new mount is in. That's what I did for mine. Only lifted engine to put the center bolt in.

#7 ·
Removing the head or intake manifold is just silly, if all your doing is changing a motor mount.

Also, How did you snap a motor mount? I've never heard of this happening.

Like stated before, removing the battery and charge piping will give you plenty of room to get to the mount from inside the engine bay. No need to lift the car since the motor mount is ontop of the subframe, Not accessable from the bottom.

Good luck.

#8 ·
I may be mistaking on what motor mount i snaped, the motor mount i snaped is the one behind the motor when u open ur hood and the cams are on the right side, and idk how i snaped it i was told my car has to much power for the oem motor mounts but thats just silly, i wish that could be true my guess is it just rotted out and one day i shifted hard and it snaped.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.