DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner

'tapping' after swapping trans & new clutch

1K views 9 replies 2 participants last post by  Junkyarddog 
#1 ·
Oh no.. only one week with a DSM and already a big screw up...

So, I got this used transmission and put it in with a new clutch. I have it bolted with the CV shafts in place.

There is a strange tapping sound comming from the bellhousing area. It will go away when the clutch is disengaged. The pedal seems to work properly.

I think I should pull the transmission out, but a friend is telling me not to just yet...

It will go into every gear and turn the axles like it should, but it can't be driven like this. The noise gets louder, then quiets then gets loud again and will go away almost completley when the clutch is pressed down.

Could this transmission have been bad from the start or is it likely I screwed it up or warped the clutch plate? I used the torque wrence and torqued it to the recomended torque specs in a star pattern.

I did this in the dark with no help, so I may have bent the input shaft.

Last time I did a clutch, it was fairly easy and worked fine, this was too...until this noise!!!

Has anyone here seen anything like this before?

See less See more
#4 ·
I did use the 'spline lube' which came with the clutch and used the Mobil 1 all purpose grease on the fork (all contact surfaces), inside of throwout bearing and ofcourse...filled the transmission with 75w-90. did I forget anything?

I would like this to be a quick fix or minor issue, but the noise isn't acceptable to me and I'm quite sure the transmission is comming back out.

#5 ·
I can also feel the resistance while turning the motor. It starts to bind up and then feels like it touches something, but it will turn past it with a little extra effort.

Unless it's the throwout bearing not returning all the way and scraping the fingers, it woul'd have to be internal to the transmission. I don't see how the surface of that throwout bearing would be able to do that anyways.

The transmission is under warranty so I won't sweat it too much.

#7 ·
I did search, but I was desparate for answers...
The problem:
non-oem clutch pressure plate making slight contact with the inside of bellhousing where the bulge for the driver's side axle is. A slight shave with the air grinder (not removing too much aluminum) and re-installed. No more noise. I use a duralast clutch from autozone, the pressure plate is a different shape than the oem. I didn't take any photos, I was in a hurry. Air tools until 10:00pm...then it's time for a test drive!! All in all, this was one of the easier FWD clutches/trans to change.

#9 ·
Junkyarddog said:
This probably would've worn in, but I believe I did the right thing, and I'm glad I did. I couldn't stand that sound for more than 30 seconds. My friends would probably call me anal, but I would call them a bunch of hacks... :)
You did the right thing. The metal shavings could have made your tob go bad. Glad you fixed it and added info to the database.

Funny, I didn't think the pressure plate moved except in and out
:confused: oh wait, duh....

#10 ·
I was thinking the same thing about the plate...but I didn't ponder it too much. I'm not really sure what part was making contact, but the noise did subside when the clutch was down...

The car is on the road now. The clutch works nice, these can be nice cars when in the right hands. This Eclipse isn't a fast one, but it's fast enough for me... It's good enough to drive around and keep up for years to come. It still needs some tlc but it exceeds my expectations for an 'economic' alternative to my truck. I might mod it a little here and there, but it's pretty cool as it is. I could do without the factory exaust and the soft struts...all in due time.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.