DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner

interrior paint

833 views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  really slow FWD 
#1 ·
i was just wondering what is the best way to paint your interrior. I want to paint the black parts like the piece around the cluster, heat, and shifter. whats the best way to make the paint stick. i plan on using boyds moddle paint true blue perl. thanks in advance for any/all help.

#3 ·
Ive done it two ways. The old sand, primer, sand, paint, sand, paint...etc and then some coats of clear, This gives it a nice shine and is quite durable. I was at a local parts store and saw some plastic paint. This paint only works well on unpainted surfaces. I put three coats on a few pieces in my car. It goes on smooth and kinda floats its self out. And it is very durable. Its like a plastic shell.

#5 ·
When I painted mine I just cleaned it off really good with water and dried it with a towel. Then sprayed it in about 5 layers of color and 3 of clear. Sticks and shines good. DO NOT use dish soap or anything of the sort.. it'll bubble up and peel off.

#6 ·
you dont really need primer depending on what paint you use. But i would recommend using primer for normal paint. Like i said before, there is a "plastic" paint that you dont need primer for, but you want to use it on clean plastic. And i would recommend painting in a warm area. I live in new york and i tried painting tonight in my garage without any heat and the paint doesnt stick worth shit.

#7 ·
i have had very good results by doing the following:

-cleaning parts with denatured alcohol and water (1:2 parts)
-using some fine sandpaper (1200grit;to give the primer something to hold on to)
-cleaning the parts again with a damp cloth
-2 thin coats of primer (duplicolor is good) w/ 20 mins in between to dry
- 2 to 3 VERY thin coats of your base (i used car paint - Duplicolor)
-once the base dries over night finish it off with a coat a clear

these steps will give you surprising results
the important thing to keep in mind is patience

-EE

#8 ·
well im going to use plastic model paint thats why i was wondering about the primer, and i have a little over a week to get it done before it goes to the shop so time isnt a problem. the problem is patience, i really like to see results:D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.