DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner

I need help Identifying my engine

2K views 18 replies 7 participants last post by  talonturbo3965 
#1 ·
I am trying to figure out what year my engine is because the last owner replaced it, the vin is not recognizable, but the oil pan looks like the one on the top here http://www.vfaq.com/mods/early-late-engine.html Is there anyway way of determining what year my engine is without the vin?

I need this information so I can buy a timing belt kit.

#2 ·
Pictures would help more

#12 ·
I talked to parts dinosaur and he said a lot of his stuff in the kit is from the same oem manufacturer with the same casting numbers including the Balance Shaft Belt Tensioner Bearing, Timing Belt Tensioner Adjuster, Timing Belt Tensioner Bearing, and the pci belts are made by gates in the USA or UK with direct oem replacement numbers on them.

#15 ·
Without the balance shafts in there you get a bit more oil pressure, a bit less parasitic drag on the engine, but most importantly, you don't have to worry about 6lbs of metal spinning at twice the RPM of the engine possibly failing and destroying your engine, turbo, etc.

Also, the most common timing belt failures I've seen were caused by a balance shaft belt coming apart and feeding itself between the crank sprocket and timing belt.

#16 · (Edited)
This. Says it all. I personally wouldn't go with aftermarket stuff that cheap VS. what Loki linked you to. But it is your engine. Its like buying a timing tensioner from Advanced and listening to it rattle 1500 miles later. Luckily it was on a winter beater that had low oil pressure and did not worry me to lose it. On my built motor, OEM all the way. Worth every penny.

#17 ·
Where are you looking to find your vin? It's not the flat rectangle piece on the exhaust manifold side. It is behind the thin water pipe near the thermostat. (Near top left side of block) Then use http://www.vfaq.com/index-main.html

In the case you were in fact looking in the correct place and still can't figure it out, you'll just have to double check the oil pan. It took me a while to clarify it because it's hard to tell with pictures..

But as others mentioned, all 6-bolts are the same as far as belts.

#18 ·
Dont mess around with the non-oe parts when it comes to critical stuff, I have bought from parts-dinosaur in the past, and the parts are ok, but when it comes to a part that can ruin a motor if it fails I just purchase OEM better safe than sorry (IMO)

#19 ·
If your installing a timing belt follow the procedure on the vfaq and check the timing marks. If its a 7 bolt the timing mark for the crank will be at about 10 o'clock and if its a 6 bolt it will be at about 3 o'clock but from what i can tell the timing belts are the same. And as shott17 said get a good timing belt, new head and bent valves arent fun.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.