DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner

2g maf install

7K views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  Jskrapper 
#1 ·
so the racetrack was closed today so i decided to take the time to install my 2g maf. I soldered it up, 1 wire at a time, accodring to vfaq and when i turned the car on i got a CEL. I plugged in my dsmlink and checked the code... Air Intake Temperature Circuit ... The car idles right, it seems to be running slightly rich at idle and my airflow/rev is slightly low also.
I thought i might have made a wiring mistake and this is what i had the first time i wired it up:
2g PIN - 1g wire color
1 - Green wire, red line, red stripes
2 - Green wire, yellow line, red stripes
3 - green wire, blue line, red stripes
4 - Red wire, black stripes
5 - Green wire, black line, Red stripes
6 - Green wire, white line, red stripes
7 - Green wire, orange line, Red stripes
8 - nothing

Now i looked at vfaq and it seems like i had pins 6 and 7 wrong... so i switched em. Still exactly the same. The vfaq instructions have confused me every time i look at it so thats why i thought i wired it incorrectly.
Does anyone know if i wired it correctly?
Which one was right, how i have it posted up there, or with pins 6 and 7 switched?
Could the maf be bad?
The plug i used for the 2g maf was a 1g power transistor plug so i had to take it apart according to vfaq and move one wire... could i have damaged the wiring in the plug while pulling the other one?
Anyone run into this problem and know how to troubleshoot?
i posted up on the dsmlink forums also with a couple logs but i havent gotten any responses yet.

any help is appreciated

thanks
danny

See less See more
#3 · (Edited)
T9S1i said:
so the racetrack was closed today so i decided to take the time to install my 2g maf. I soldered it up, 1 wire at a time, accodring to vfaq and when i turned the car on i got a CEL. I plugged in my dsmlink and checked the code... Air Intake Temperature Circuit ... The car idles right, it seems to be running slightly rich at idle and my airflow/rev is slightly low also.
I thought i might have made a wiring mistake and this is what i had the first time i wired it up:
2g PIN - 1g wire color
1 - Green wire, red line, red stripes
2 - Green wire, yellow line, red stripes
3 - green wire, blue line, red stripes
4 - Red wire, black stripes
5 - Green wire, black line, Red stripes
6 - Green wire, white line, red stripes
7 - Green wire, orange line, Red stripes
8 - nothing

Now i looked at vfaq and it seems like i had pins 6 and 7 wrong... so i switched em. Still exactly the same. The vfaq instructions have confused me every time i look at it so thats why i thought i wired it incorrectly.
Does anyone know if i wired it correctly?
Which one was right, how i have it posted up there, or with pins 6 and 7 switched?
Could the maf be bad?
The plug i used for the 2g maf was a 1g power transistor plug so i had to take it apart according to vfaq and move one wire... could i have damaged the wiring in the plug while pulling the other one?
Anyone run into this problem and know how to troubleshoot?
i posted up on the dsmlink forums also with a couple logs but i havent gotten any responses yet.

any help is appreciated

thanks
danny
i have also done this mod with the same transistor plug :)

(transistor plug)
ok so you moved the yellow wire with a green stripe to the unused pin correct? (pin 8 to pin 5)

your wire colors must be faded all to hell or something there are no green wires.

you dont need to know the wire colors anyways.

if you look at the vfaq dont even look at the blue numbers that is what is confusing you. just match the wires to the right spot just by only looking at the 2 pictures with the numbers in pink.

like the first one
(pin 1) first wire on the left of the transistor plug
that solders up to the bottom row spot on the far right.

(pin 2) second wire from the left on the transistor plug
that solders up to the top row spot in the center

(pin 3) third wire from the left on the transistor plug
that solders up to the bottom row second spot from the left

(pin 4) fourth wire from the left on the transistor plug
that solders up to the bottom row third spot from the left

(pin 5) fifth wire from the left on the transistor plug
that solders up to the top row far left spot

(pin 6) sixth wire from the left on the transisor plug
that solders up to the top row far right spot

(pin 7) the far right wire on the transistor plug
that solders up to the bottom row far left spot

and thats it you should be good to go.
just make sure none of the wires that you solder are in contact with eachother then rtv it up and let it dry. (make sure it works first)

hope this helped :)

#4 ·
i did the power transistor mod, correctly(pin 8 to 5)

and i made myself a table of what pin to wire to which pin, pretty much like you did, but in the end it didnt seem to work.

my wiring diagram that i posted was the pin # from the 2g plug to the wire color from the 1g. You can ignore the "red stripes" because that is just in a 2inch interval going up the wire (marking spacing? or length??)

My real question is that i might have had pin 6 and 7 mixed up to the 1g wiring.
First i had
6 - green with white line
7 - green with orange line
i looked at vfaq and it seemed that i had them backwards so i wired up
6 - green with orange line
7 - green with white line

i turned the car on, and no change, no new cel's and it idled exactly the same as before, my intake temp was stuck at -40.
Ive compared the logs on dsmlink and i cant figure out which way the wires are supposed to go. I thought that SOMETHING would change when i switched the wires...
I really want to just find out if my wiring is correct, and then ill check to see if i have loose wires, or bad connections or something...(i did solder it at night)
I made sure to cover the open soldered wires when i plugged it in, but i havent shrunk my heat shrink tubing yet as im not sure if its wired correctly.

Ok, now that its light out im going to go and check all my wiring to see if i can see the descrepancy, im going to check my solder connections, and check the connections in the plug. Ill have my computer with me so feel free to respond!!
thanks for any help guys

danny

#5 ·
This is weird. I have the exact same problem with mine. I disabled the IAT circut after I triple checked the connections. If you find anything out keep us posted.

I was hardwired in (no transistor plug) last season, and everything was fine. Then I went to the transistor plug and now I have the IAt code. All of the connections are correct and tight on mine so I am baffled.

#6 ·
OK, double checked the wiring. My 1g colors/pins match up perfectly from the vfaq website. However, i had them wired up the first time correctly. So im going to have to go back and switch the wires back to : pin 6 - green/orange and pin 7 - green with white. (soldering iron is heating as i type this) i will then check the plug for bad connections in the plug.
Does anyone know the proper way to check with a multimeter to see if the sensor is working inside the maf?

Maybe the power transistor plug is bad? Im not sure the guy i bought the maf from used this same plug and had no problems... This came with the maf, so i didnt pull the plug from my car. Maybe a 2g maf plug is in my future, or hacking up a maf to get the Plug n play so i can plug it right into a 1g plug... im kind of baffled too man!!!

What to check next??

danny

#7 ·
ok its fixed

i rewired the wires to the correct wires, and its all good now.

Must have been a bad solder job on my part the first time. I had a hell of a lot of solder globbed on the black/white wire coming from the plug, i cleaned some of it off and got the wires to touch nicely and now its all good.

Danny

#10 ·
jskrapper,
check to make sure your wires are touching and soldered together (assuming you soldered them)
also, i had one wire that wasnt completely covered in solder and i fixed that, im not sure which one fixed my problem as i fixed both wires at the same time and then started the car, but its something to check.

hope this helps man

Danny

#11 ·
If anyone is interested, I just figured out what my IAT circut malfunction was all about. The car was fine before I brought her in the garage for the winter...and made quite a few changes to the car, so there was a point where the MAF sensor came off the car for a few weeks . I also went through and cleaned up a lot of wiring, some of wich had to do with the MAF sensor. So after about four hours tracing wires and looking at diagrams, I decided to use my leet NAPA skillz. (I work at one)

I ordered a new 2G maf and plugged it in, and instantly saw my reading has changed from -40* to +47* (ambient here in buffalo today).

Thanks for your help Danny.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.