DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner

Replacing piston rings help...

12K views 17 replies 9 participants last post by  4g64fiero 
#1 ·
So I've been back and forth with it, and finally just want this out of the way. I'm gonna just throw in some new piston rings, replace everything I need to, and get my car done to either keep it, or sell it for a reasonable price. What I need to know is, what all should be replaced while putting in piston rings? As in what should I do to help it out, and not skimp by? I don't plan on building it, just making it healthy again.

This is my list so far...

-Piston rings, of course
-Main bearings
-Rod bearings
-Headgasket ( I have an oem which can't be reused)

I'm not sure if I can or not, but I have a newer timing belt (less than 4k miles on it), but would it be bad to reuse this? And my once used arp's can be used again correct?

If there is anything else that should be replaced, chime in, thanks

#3 · (Edited)
I would add an oil pan gasket to the list. If you are replacing the mains then the front case has to come off. Or at least I never took the crank out and was able to leave it on. So a front case gasket, and the rear and front main seals that go around the crank.

That's what else I would add if I was freshening up the bottom end.

* The belt can be used BUT things happen.

partsamerica.com has gator back ones cheap. They are good I have used them on all of mine.

#7 ·
Cam seals for sure, they are a known leaker especially if you run synthetic oil. A valve cover gasket of course, the oil pump shaft seal, and you can reuse the timing belt if you mark the direction of rotation when you take it off and then install it in the same direction, the only aftermarket belt the I would ever use is a Gates, its actually stronger than a stock Mitsubishi belt, unless you run a kevlar belt. Why are you replacing the piston rings?

#9 ·
Are you positive that it is not a head gasket or a valve sealing problem? Piston rings in these cars (stock) are pretty stout, I have a car with 300,000 on it that still has great compression, and another with 250,000 on it. They have had head/valve problems in the past, but not lower end related.

#11 ·
#15 ·
Personally, I would do a balance shaft eliminator kit.
Mitsu MLS headgasket
ARP headstuds
You can use oem studs on the bottom if you like.

Just pull out the block and have a machine shop do all the work. They could honestly do it in a day, but I'm sure it would at least a week with how busy they get.

Might as well throw some cams on that head if you don't have any. :)

#16 ·
Lol, as tempting as it is, I can't afford to throw in any more money than necessary. And thanks guys, lots of good help and fast! And on the bearings...I was thinking acl's, but if there is something that is proven better that isn't outrageously priced, I'd definitely look into it. I have arp headstuds in it now, which I believe I can reuse as long as they aren't stretched, which I doubt, since they only have around 3k miles on them.

#17 ·
Um, may be you already do this, but if you cant do the test warm (car is in pieces), drop a few cap-fulls of oil into the sparkplug holes... this will seal the rings against the block a bit more than just cold + no oil.

That wound definitely give you low numbers. Also, more important than compression numbers themselves is variation... this is because its unlikely that ALL of your piston rings are gone, unless you ran w/ no oil for a while! :p Also, there are variations in gauges and testers. Thus, you should mainly look for consistency.

#18 ·
Um, may be you already do this, but if you cant do the test warm (car is in pieces), drop a few cap-fulls of oil into the sparkplug holes... this will seal the rings against the block a bit more than just cold + no oil.
That wont work because the shape of the pistons will cause them to pool the oil on the piston top.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.