DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

car doesn't reach operating temperature

4K views 14 replies 13 participants last post by  Sean485 
#1 ·
it's getting really cold these days in chicago, and my 1997 talon just won't warm up!
I have no problems starting the car or driving whatsoever, but no matter how long I keep the car running or how far I drive, engine stays cold and heating is weak. gas mileage is decent and the car runs strong.

any ideas?

#5 ·
Also depending on how cold it is its not going to go to the level that it would if lets say it was 50 degrees outside. Anything below freezing and my temperature gauage wont go as high. You may want to change your thermostat, it might help and for less than $10 its not that expensive.

#6 ·
+1 On the thermostat. Sounds exactly like what is going on to me.

#11 ·
It is the thermostat my friend. Change it out and your car will warm up properly and your heat will come back to life! Make sure to get the o-ring that goes around the thermostat as sometimes they dont come with it.

1st gen = 192*

2nd gen = 180*

#12 ·
DSMscreamer said:
FYI, the car will do this when the Thermostat is stuck open. 99.9% of the time that will be the problem.
^ Dsmscreamer just explained it. I also vote thermostat.

yajstylez said:
Are you sure the A/C is not turned on? Because when mine's on, my heater sucks bad.
Are you saying your heater sucks when you have the A/C and the heater on at the same time? :confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.