DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner

Garrett T-28 Ball bearing Turbo

8K views 32 replies 13 participants last post by  na94eclipse 
#1 ·
Ok I have a 97 Gs-t And i currently have the stock t-25, Now i have a t-28 ball bearing and i'm thinking of changing these around. What Will I need To throw in the t-28. And Will I feel a difference, it's a 60 trim Garrett T-28 Single Ball Bearing. So please Someone guide me through so I can drop in the T-28. What Do I need And Where Can I Get It From. Thanks

#6 ·
DIRECT bolt on buddy. Do some research, FP uses junk t25 housings to build their t28 turbos, I am not sure if fresh ones come with the same housings.

#9 ·
What he meant is that an FP t28 is a t25 shell with upgraded internals, so on a 2g is a direct bolt on, it would be like putting the same turbo, but once it spools up, you will get massive whiplash, kinda like a big 16g....

#10 ·
Exactly, sorry for the lack of explanation. The bigT-28 is the 16G for us 2g owners. :D

#12 ·
french_hustler said:
I wouldn't go as far as comparing a 16g to a t-28.
In respect to his analogy, I would say his comparison is fairly correct. The T-28 is what a 16G would be to a 14b. I think all he was saying is that the turbo is the 2g replacement that uses the same basic housing, just different internals.

But, French, your correct, they are not similar. Just the "roots" of the two different setups are similar, as they are both stock turbos "modded" to be bigger.

The 16G is still bigger than the T-28, though, if I'm not mistaken....

#15 ·
Ok can someone guide me through changing the turbos... i heard its a little bit complicated i thought it might be just take out the old one and put the new in but, I heard I have to take out the coolant and some other crap, can someone guide me through?

#16 ·
93_GSX said:
In respect to his analogy, I would say his comparison is fairly correct. The T-28 is what a 16G would be to a 14b. I think all he was saying is that the turbo is the 2g replacement that uses the same basic housing, just different internals.
Thank you, that is the exact point I was trying to make.
As for the swap question, you do not need to remove the coolant. There are two coolant lines (feed and return) and two oil lines. Disconnect those, drop the DP, remove your bolts, rotate turbo counter clockwise and it should drop out.
(It's not as easy as it sounds in print, you kinda have to be a professional turbo-wiggler to do this quickly.):D

#19 ·
Tito97GS-T said:
Ok can someone guide me through changing the turbos... i heard its a little bit complicated i thought it might be just take out the old one and put the new in but, I heard I have to take out the coolant and some other crap, can someone guide me through?
Step 1.) Sell your car, since you have more money than brains.
Step 2.) Go to Wal-Mart and go find the bicycles
Step 3.) Try to figure out how to buy one, I hear it's complicated.

#21 ·
MuffinMan7580 said:
Step 1.) Sell your car, since you have more money than brains.
Step 2.) Go to Wal-Mart and go find the bicycles
Step 3.) Try to figure out how to buy one, I hear it's complicated.
jaja What a Fucking Clown.....Fucking Dickhead why the fuck do we have forums for....To learn from others who have experience and share them.....Not to be assholes....

#23 ·
french_hustler said:
But power and potential wise, an e316g will rape a t28 from the rear any day of the year.
Well, last I checked the T-28 flows 37lbs/min. I'm not sure what the Evo3 flows but I know it is somewhat close. Also, the FP Big T-28 flows 530cfm unported. The Evo3 flows 550cfm unported.

I would say the FP Big T-28 is very close to the Evo 3. The evo 3 will shine on the top end. You just can't beat not dealing with boost creep, and the 3000RPM full spool of the tiny shell the FP Big T-28 is housed in.

Rape? Nah. Beat in the end when it is all said and done? Yep.

#25 ·
true. I believe the evo3 pushes 44 lbs./min but don't quote me on that.

#26 · (Edited)
That's close to 20g...actually more than a 20g flows. A 20g flows like 43-44lbs/min at highest effeciency.

I seriously doubt the e3 flows more than the 20g...TDO6H that is. ;)

And the FP big T-28 isn't ball bearing...I'm sure the OP is talking about a different turbo. I probably would say the turbo you are referring to will have different specs than the FP big T-28.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.