DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner

Swapping engines

1K views 14 replies 6 participants last post by  90_talon_matt 
#1 ·
I just recently blew my head gasket , and really got lucky on finding another talon with a 4g63T for 900! with a automatic transmission that doesnt work (thats the reason why he is selling it), my car also has a 4g63T. My question is will that engine work on my manual tranny? And can you guys list parts I would need that the automatic engine has that the manual doesnt? I dont know if that made sense but you should kno what I mean. Wish me luck! Very first time I would work on a car, aside from changing oil and changing a few parts such as the thermostat and the battery lol, and never did touched the timing belt before, and certainly hope I wouldnt have to with the swap. Please let me know what I would need to know before I touch this.

#4 ·
Im not sure if someone was talking about it the other day, but I did search and mostly people talking about tranny swaps, or having a 420engine and putting turbo in it. Or a shortblock swap, head, etc. But I am more then happy if you can go ahead and post the link for me. And to do a head gasket swap would be too much work for me and it would probably cost the same because I would need to bring the head to a machine shop, I cant even take the head apart and put it together, and I think it would be easier for me to swap engines, but who knows I've never done it before. So if I did get a repair shop to do it for me would cost me 2000 at the least because I did call around about 80 percent of the shops dont even work on these cars and the rest do thats including mitsubishi dealership that will charge me 4500 WTF. But I found a shop that will do 2000.. ANYWAYS it would also be a better deal for me to get a car that doesnt have a tranny because of all the extra parts it comes with. I do need new struts because I wanna change the coilovers on my car and my struts are dead. As well as the ticking my current engine has and I dont thnk its lifters , could be the valves, rods. Something big to that matter.

#5 ·
save ur 900 bucks . be sure your head gasket went . is it blow out white smoke horribly u can check ur oil if their is any anti freeze in it ect or u can bring it up to a tech and they can do a sniffer test on it . if it is your headgasket order a metal from mitsu and call it a day they go for less than 100 bucks

#8 ·
Shifted*TSi said:
save ur 900 bucks . be sure your head gasket went . is it blow out white smoke horribly u can check ur oil if their is any anti freeze in it ect or u can bring it up to a tech and they can do a sniffer test on it . if it is your headgasket order a metal from mitsu and call it a day they go for less than 100 bucks
Im pretty sure its my head gasket even if theirs no oil in coolant, coolant in oil, and some smoke comes out at idle and right after i get off of first.If u read the whole thread I am also getting ticking noises and it certainly not is lifter tick,Heres what happened, i overheated badly and my oil was empty. So I dont know where all my oil went since I just changed it 3 weeks that happened. I overheated, loss my oill, and now I have a loud knockin sound at idle, or when I rev. SO thats why i was gonna let someone change my head gasket / fix the knockin sound but to find out I would pay 2000 or more. I came up on a deal and found a guy selling a talon for 900 with a broken tranny. So thats where I came about.

#9 ·
Just change the head gasket. It really isn't hard at all to do.

#11 ·
Yes you can. My only concern was that if you had picked up a 1g auto motor that the injectors would be smaller and also if you had picked up a 90 motor you would have been in over your head if you can't handle a head gasket swap. Long story short 2g AT --> 2g MT is not an issue at all. Good luck. Personally I would use your old motor for practice on how to change a timing belt. :p It's really simple. Anyways hope this helped.

#12 ·
90_talon_matt said:
Yes you can. My only concern was that if you had picked up a 1g auto motor that the injectors would be smaller and also if you had picked up a 90 motor you would have been in over your head if you can't handle a head gasket swap. Long story short 2g AT --> 2g MT is not an issue at all. Good luck. Personally I would use your old motor for practice on how to change a timing belt. :p It's really simple. Anyways hope this helped.
Oh good idea on using my old motor as a practic tool for when I do need to change a timing belt again in the future. SO any parts I would need in order for it to connect to the tranny? Or all is good?

#13 ·
You're going to have to use your clutch and flywheel obviously :p . Personally depending on mileage on the clutch I would probably change it as it could possibly save you from having to drop the transmission later. I know you don't want to hear it but I would never drop a used motor in without changing the timing and balance shaft belts as they can cause you a lot of grief as I'm sure you are aware. Once you get your motor apart and get rid of the fear of the unknown I'm sure you'll be confident in doing so. With the motor out of the car it is very very very easey.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.