DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner

Idle and Acceleration Problems?

3K views 16 replies 9 participants last post by  Himari 
#1 ·
Hey, my friend has a 94 1.8 Eclipse. It's a 5 speed. The problem he is having is that the car is jumping hard idle from like 700 to 1500 and such. Sometimes, when he tries to drive, he can hit the gas but it just wont accelerate. This problem all started after his battery died and he had to get a new one. What types of things should we check for?

#3 ·
Hitting the gas and not accelerating sounds like bogging to me, which would be indicative of too much fuel, or a bad driver mod, lol. Can he verify his gas mileage? But there are lots of variables to this. Bad vacuum leaks, spark issues, etc.

#5 ·
rodriguez93GSX said:
that kinda happen to me a few days ago but it was because the throttle in my s-afc was off a whole bunch......???
Given the fact that his 1.8 N/A has no use for a SAFC, I don't think that's the case.

A new battery wouldn't be the cause of this. Check to make sure the plugs and wires are good, maybe reset the ECU like Insulin said...we need a few more details before we can diagnose it correctly.

#6 · (Edited)
Got Insulin? said:
Define "and such."

Kronus hit it right on the head, I think. Maybe he just needs his ECU reset or to learn how to drive stick....?
Well, I doubt that he needs to learn how to drive stick, considering he has been driving the car for a year with no problems.. I don't think that's something a person forgets how to do overnight. By the way, there are no mods on the car, it's just stock.

Edit: "and such" just means I haven't really gotten to see how badly it's spiking, this is just what he told me. I will try to reset the ECU.

Edit again: So so far I should try:
- Check spark plugs and wires.
- ECU reset.

Anything else?

#7 ·
What all has been touched? Swapping an old battery with a new one shouldn't cause this. Did your friend attempt to clean the engine bay and soak stuff with water? Did he mess with the MAF any, or any of the other various sensors on the Throttle Body? Are you getting a CEL? This is a long road to go down, so provide as much detail as possible.

#10 ·
Have you looked into Kronus's post about vacuum leaks or spark issues? If you want help, you got to do some poking around and provide more details as to what you have tried, or ruled out. There are so many things it could be it would be pointless to try to name them all without you narrowing it down a little.

#11 ·
I will never understand why people have other people post help topics for them. Why not just find a comp and post it yourself? >.>

#12 ·
I don't know, maybe because it's a hassle if you don't own a computer? Didn't think it was a big deal? -_- To the above poster, I will post once some things have been checked.

#13 ·
When my alternator died(ive gone through 4 within a year) and you disconnect the battery everything resets. It shouldnt spike to 1500(idle surge?) It will want to stall into you drive it hard so the ecu resets. When its cold my car goes to 1500 to warm up. My ecu finally learned itself again. Its the same with some early jeeps and chryslers.

#14 ·
I though no acceleration when hitting the gas happens to all the 1.8's??? :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.