DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner

Cutting or removing air can? Then connect Injen or AEM?

2K views 14 replies 9 participants last post by  BeerBaron93ETDL 
#1 ·
:santa:

I have a 1992 Plymouth Laser N/T 1.8L. I want to either remove the air can or at least perform the cutting modifications. Which should I do for my car?

Next, could I hook up an Injen intake or AEM intake after performing these modifications? If so, which is intake is better, the Injen or the AEM? Any instructions on this complete process would be greatly appreciated as well...

Also, should I remove that honeycomb stuff or leave it? Thanks and Merry X-Mas!

#2 ·
You could cut it, but that'd be pointless if you were getting a new intake. I have mine cut and I must say, its a bitch at idle when the radiator fan kicks on. That honeycomb stuff is part of the mass air sensor and I wouldn't touch it, some guys have removed the lower honeycomb but I wouldn't personally. Oh and if you do cut the can, just drop a K&N in there, you'll notice a difference.

#3 ·
EclipseFX51 said:
That honeycomb stuff is part of the mass air sensor and I wouldn't touch it, some guys have removed the lower honeycomb but I wouldn't personally.
This only applies to 1G turbo cars since their MAS has 2 honeycombs. The NT MAS has just the big (main) one, so don't remove it unless you want to experience some problems...

#4 ·
dont do the honeycomb thing... remove the silencer... cut the air can... i at first just tossed it... and my k&n kept bouncing around and it got this nice crushed spot on it... so i cut the can so that the only thing left was one attachment point under the can so i could swivel it around to acomodate <---- cant spell---- different intakes i used a custom one and the got a weapon-r intake....

tribal...

#8 ·
haha, good answer talon.

And the "honeycomb thing" is supposed to swirl the air for better/faster airflow, if you take it out, it'll just downright suck. (I couldn't think of any better way to put it) And I've always heard about removing the silencer, what does that do, and how do I do it?

#9 ·
actually the honeycomd straightens the air over the air sensor.. without it , it would have problems measuring the turbulent air....

#10 ·
the other thing ive heard is that you can remove that bottom piece that looks like binoculars... and put in a trap door/ swing door on a spring ... thats section doesnt measure any air... and the door would remain closed untill the engine created enoung vacum to over come the spring... =WOT ... and the volume of air would be increased greatly.... @ WOT the 1.8 tends to run rich... so the unmetered air may not cause you to run lean... but i would at least use an A/F guage or egt... at the least... an AFC or the same might be a good ins. policy.... just my thaughts

tribal...

#11 ·
miketribal said:
the other thing ive heard is that you can remove that bottom piece that looks like binoculars... and put in a trap door/ swing door on a spring ... thats section doesnt measure any air... and the door would remain closed untill the engine created enoung vacum to over come the spring... =WOT ... and the volume of air would be increased greatly.... @ WOT the 1.8 tends to run rich... so the unmetered air may not cause you to run lean... but i would at least use an A/F guage or egt... at the least... an AFC or the same might be a good ins. policy.... just my thaughts

tribal...
Is this what you mean?? http://members.rogers.com/mrjackson9/MAF/MAF_Hack.htm ;)

That page was made by fellow moderator Quadcylla (Mike Jackson), a true pioneer in MAF hacking.

#12 ·
for the most part yes accept on a nt maf... and the flapper door is alittle bigger... but yes thats the idea

#13 ·
I own a 1g N/T and removed the silencer and the single front honeycomb without a chance to try it out, yet. You guys are telling me a screwed up well crap what can i do now

#15 ·
i have a k&n filter stuck on the stock intake pipe and left suspended in open air, i just attached it to the 3 clips, its not a perfect seal, but i think its good enough since the rubber lining around the k&n makes contact with the air can lid

noticed a big difference in sound, and there was a little better top end on it

altho when the rad fan kicks in my idle starts to stutter and go down to 600 but never lower

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.