DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner

Really Rough Idle after Rebuild

5K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  kingclem123 
#1 ·
Ok rebuilt the engine recently, herea are the Mods on the car.

Car is a 2G
1G bottom end
2G head (rebuilt by DSM graveyard)
big 16G turbo
750cc ing
walbro 255cc fuel rail
Apexi EBC
Punishment FMIC
DSM link

The car started up fine on the first try, there was a little bit of white smoke out the exhaust but that went away i ran the car for a few minutes.the car had high idle, but everything sounded good. the car heated up to normal temperture and would bogged down. i thought this was normal because i figured it just needed to be tuned. when i came home from work and went to start her, she was hesitant and the idle was real sloppy. plus i saw what looked like a small amount of vapor/smoke coming from behind the intake. i imeadiately did a compression check , there were between 165-175 across the board, so that was good, i then did a boost leak test and found that i have a crack in my VC, im replacing that tonight after i get home. one other thing, i noticed the grey vapor by the intake when i cranked the engine but couldnt tell where its was comming from.

any ideas why the idle is so erradic and wont stay started?

See less See more
#2 ·
Is it still rough under throttle or just when idling? I ask because my 90 GSX is running pretty much like shit at idle but does fine under throttle. I have been looking back a few pages and couldn't find anything with the same symptoms as me. Maybe we both have the same issue.

#4 ·
I forgot to mention, mine is a fresh rebuild, too. About 5k on it. All I know about this car is that they used Crower forged rods and JE forged pistons for the rebuild, it also has a 16g turbo upgrade and a Megan Racing turbo-back 3" exhaust. Boosting at 16-20psi. I don't know what size the injectors are, but I pulled the plugs the day I got it, and from their condition, its running rich. I assumed it still had stock 450cc injectors, but maybe not?

#5 ·
Well i found the problem and shes purring like a kitten now. I didnt install my timing belt on tight enough and skipped a tooth. Now everything looks good as far as breakin in goes. Got lucky as far as that i didnt bend a valve. still 165-180s across all cylinders. Thanks for the help though.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.