DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner

centerforce clutch slipping

3K views 15 replies 10 participants last post by  OddRob 
#1 ·
I put in a dual friction centerforce modular clutch in my 420a eclipse. well i was told that centerforce was the was i should go. i did and i am not too happy with it. i am not making a great amount of power to where i should be too worried about this problem. but there is problem, the clutch is slipping and not grabbing like it should. is there a problem someplace else besides the clutch it self or is it the clutch? please help, there is no point making more power if i cant get it to the tires the way it should be right? :confused:

#5 ·
fast4me80 said:
yea its got more than 500 miles on it for sure
He asked if it had been broken in for 500 miles not just driven. Centerforces are very touchy about there break-in period. If you did any kind of hard lauch of even brought it up to highrpms the life expectancy will drop horribly.

#6 ·
Im not sure if you can adjust the clutch peddel on a 2g or not, but i'd think you could. Anyway depending on where the clutch is enguageing you might want to consider adjusting the pedel. It might be possible it's just not fully enguageing.

#7 ·
I don't think this has anything to do with your problem, but I see slave cylinder shaft extentions on ebay all day for like 20 bucks. They are supposed to help aftermarket clutches dis-engage all the way. Just thought I would throw that out there in case any of you guys might be concerned about unexplained grinding or missing gears.

#12 ·
the 420a have a modular unit.. meaning it is sold as one peice allready installed on the flywheel.. if its the same as a neon the clutch cable is self adjust if there is to much tension. to get less slack in the cabel grab it were it comes threw the fire wall and give it a tug. if it was out of adjustment you will here some clicks. i had a centerforce in my neon r/t i had problems with it also.. sumthing you might want to chek into. find a neon that was manufactured in mexico they dont have modular clutchs in them and buy the flywheel and you will save a ton of money when it comes time for clutch replacement. you might even beableto find a lightweight one if you look. just by swapping the mexican neon clutch you shave like 10 pounds off the drivetrain.. hope this helps

#13 ·
ok good so you can switch from a modular unit to a regular flywheel and clutch. i will have to check the cable, the pedal fells fine just doesnt engage that good and slips which it should do. well do any body have any suggestion on after market systems to replace the modular unit, so to go from a modular unit to a non modular kit that will fit into the 420a

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.