Are HID kits illegal now ? - Page 4 - DSM Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum: DSMtalk.com

HomeForumGalleryClassifiedsAbout UsAdvertiseContact Us

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   DSM Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum: DSMtalk.com > DSM Tech Central > Body Tech and Appearance

DSMTalk.com is the premier Mitsubishi Eclipse Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 10-22-2010, 03:27 PM   #46
GPTourer
Hardcore DSMtalker

'98 GS-T & '05 EVO GSR
GPTourer's Gallery
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Re: Are HID kits illegal now ?

I have a McCullogh 6000K HID kit installed into a set of cheap Ebay Halogen projectors.
I bought the kit right when the DOT ruled all retrofit kits to be illegal and that was back when good companies were still making these and using quality parts like Phillips ballasts and Sylvania bulbs. Now, I think, all you can get on Ebay is cheap Chinese junk that may or may not work for a while and may or may not burn your car down, I don't really know - but the kits are a lot cheaper then they used to be. I paid (or got ripped off, depending on your POV) about $250 for mine - which I thought was cheap compared to the $400-$600 kits I'd heard of.

6000K is bluish, but still gives usable light - not like the ricers with 8000K, 9000K, 12000K purple shit. It gives a nice contrast to my yellow 2500K halogen PIAA bulbs in my foglights.

The cutoff in the projectors is designed for halogen, but it does keep it from blinding oncoming drivers, however it doesn't offer the best spread pattern. I really need to retrofit in some real HID projectors from an OEM application to make the best of it, but I like the way it looks.
FFWD Level 1 6-bolt w/ Street Dominator 2G Head | TRE trans w/ Quaife | EVOIII B16G w/ TiAL exWG and open dump | HKS 264/272 | Hahn FMIC | Denso 660's | Stage 3 Keydiver | SAFC-2 | AVC-R | Aeromotive AFPR | Stillen, Koni, Eibach suspension | APEX'i N-1 | RAYS G-Games 77wolf 18's | Sumitomo HTR | Alpine, Pioneer, US Amps, MB Quart, Viper ICE
GPTourer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-16-2011, 02:20 PM   #47
yeahyeah1469
New DSMtalker

Mitsubishi GSX 1991
yeahyeah1469's Gallery

In new york they are kinda touchy about the color and brightness. They hate yellow HID.
yeahyeah1469 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 05:28 AM   #48
Th3DooM
New DSMtalker

'98 Eclipse GS
Th3DooM's Gallery

Sry 4 OT,but let me get this straight.

In the U.S. aftermarket HID kits are illegal, but everyone uses them because the cops aren't interested or don't know if it's stock? Here in Europe they would kick my ass and I would lose my licence lol.

I wouldn't install such a kit, even when it's street legal. I don't like to blend people so they can't see the road and are looking for the nearest tree to hit it.
Th3DooM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 09:39 AM   #49
GPTourer
Hardcore DSMtalker

'98 GS-T & '05 EVO GSR
GPTourer's Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Th3DooM View Post
In the U.S. aftermarket HID kits are illegal, but everyone uses them because the cops aren't interested or don't know if it's stock? Here in Europe they would kick my ass and I would lose my licence lol.
The cops generally just aren't interested. But I avoid douchey colors like 12000K Purple or 3000K yellow for my low beams because of that. If you ride around with purple lights, unpainted body kit, and yellow accents with a fart-bomber muffler on a '92 Accord riding on its bumpstops, you will automatically be pulled over in certain neighborhoods where I live and issued a number of citations.

But I have never been bothered in my '98 Eclipse which is obviously too old to have stock HIDs.
FFWD Level 1 6-bolt w/ Street Dominator 2G Head | TRE trans w/ Quaife | EVOIII B16G w/ TiAL exWG and open dump | HKS 264/272 | Hahn FMIC | Denso 660's | Stage 3 Keydiver | SAFC-2 | AVC-R | Aeromotive AFPR | Stillen, Koni, Eibach suspension | APEX'i N-1 | RAYS G-Games 77wolf 18's | Sumitomo HTR | Alpine, Pioneer, US Amps, MB Quart, Viper ICE
Old 01-17-2011, 09:44 AM   #50
BISHILVR
Elite DSMtalker

MITSUBISHI GST 1999
BISHILVR's Gallery
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

^^^Some cars in the U.S.A. come from the factory with H.I.D. so when passing a law enforcement officer he wouldnt know if your car is supposed to have them or not and in this country a police officer has to have a cause to pull you over, they cant just pull you over because you MIGHT have the wrong type of bulbs in your car, thats how people get away with it.
Old 01-17-2011, 09:50 AM   #51
GPTourer
Hardcore DSMtalker

'98 GS-T & '05 EVO GSR
GPTourer's Gallery

^Exactly^

BISHILVR said it better what I didn't make clear. It is sort of the same way with tint. Not all of them carry around tint meters, so must don't bother. They wait for a "ticket pinata" to come along like a riced out import to pull over because most likely they will find something else wrong like no registration, expired tag or license, no insurance, etc... Possibly having illegal HIDs is not probable cause to pull somebody over, even if it is obvious that an old Civic or Eclipse did not come with HIDs from the factory.
Old 01-18-2011, 12:21 AM   #52
Th3DooM
New DSMtalker

'98 Eclipse GS
Th3DooM's Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPTourer View Post
^Exactly^

BISHILVR said it better what I didn't make clear. It is sort of the same way with tint. Not all of them carry around tint meters, so must don't bother. They wait for a "ticket pinata" to come along like a riced out import to pull over because most likely they will find something else wrong like no registration, expired tag or license, no insurance, etc... Possibly having illegal HIDs is not probable cause to pull somebody over, even if it is obvious that an old Civic or Eclipse did not come with HIDs from the factory.
Well, there's such a big difference between Europe (especially Germany) and the US

/off topic
Th3DooM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 11:01 AM   #53
BISHILVR
Elite DSMtalker

MITSUBISHI GST 1999
BISHILVR's Gallery
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

We just have more hungry attorneys here bro!
Old 01-18-2011, 12:01 PM   #54
mondale
New DSMtalker

99buickregal
mondale's Gallery

I discussed the legality of aftermarket HID's with an automotive teacher who had researched the topic thoroughly because they are annoying as shit, and came to a conclusion. He told me that here in MN, the installation of the kits is has been deemed illegal, BUT the legislature that allows police officers to enforce this law has been tangled up in red tape. This was a year ago, so it may be enforced by now. Either way putting HID's in a standard non-projector housing is only good for blinding deer and upsetting people.
+1 for retrofit or GTFO
mondale is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement