Magnaflow muffler - DSM Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum: DSMtalk.com

HomeForumGalleryClassifiedsAbout UsAdvertiseContact Us

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   DSM Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum: DSMtalk.com > DSM Tech Central > Body Tech and Appearance

DSMTalk.com is the premier Mitsubishi Eclipse Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 04-11-2012, 11:08 PM   #1
EagleTalon_97
New DSMtalker

Eagle talon 1997
EagleTalon_97's Gallery
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Magnaflow muffler

I love the sound of magnaflow exhausts and I want to get one for my n/t talon but first I was wondering how many of you guys are running magnaflow? And what kind of set ups do you guys have?

I can't afford a full exhaust but I want to buy a muffler and weld a cheap tip on there. What muffler would make the deepest tone on a n/t car? Because I've heard that straight through mufflers would sound ricey and I would like to stay as far away from a fart can as possible which is why I want to go with magnaflow. I want to get rid of that raspy sound so I want sort of a baffled a low tone, yet I don't mind it being loud at all. What muffler would be best for this?

I've been looking at the xl 3 chamber because it's well priced an I've heard decent things about it but I want your guy's opinion on magnaflow mufflers and what muffler would be best for a n/t car. I want to keep my budget under $100 if possible.

Thanks in advance.
EagleTalon_97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-11-2012, 11:33 PM   #2
kronus
Ridiculous DSMtalker

'98 GS - '05 ZX-6R
kronus's Gallery
Feedback Score: 26 reviews
Re: Magnaflow muffler

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleTalon_97 View Post
I love the sound of magnaflow exhausts and I want to get one for my n/t talon but first I was wondering how many of you guys are running magnaflow? And what kind of set ups do you guys have?

I can't afford a full exhaust but I want to buy a muffler and weld a cheap tip on there. What muffler would make the deepest tone on a n/t car? Because I've heard that straight through mufflers would sound ricey and I would like to stay as far away from a fart can as possible which is why I want to go with magnaflow. I want to get rid of that raspy sound so I want sort of a baffled a low tone, yet I don't mind it being loud at all. What muffler would be best for this?

I've been looking at the xl 3 chamber because it's well priced an I've heard decent things about it but I want your guy's opinion on magnaflow mufflers and what muffler would be best for a n/t car. I want to keep my budget under $100 if possible.

Thanks in advance.
A budget of $100 is not going to cut out the rasp. In fact I've yet to see a 4 cylinder with 'just a muffler' not have rasp in the tone. Save yourself the disappointment and either scrap the idea of an exhaust, or save until you can afford at least a catback system with a resonator(s) in it.

*Another question: What car did you hear a magnaflow on to base your judgement?
kronus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 11:44 PM   #3
EagleTalon_97
New DSMtalker

Eagle talon 1997
EagleTalon_97's Gallery

YouTube and posts on different car forums and such.
Old 04-12-2012, 01:09 PM   #4
tures
New DSMtalker

eagle talon 1991
tures's Gallery

I have a magnaflow muffler on my 1g, and it has a really deep tone!
tures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 01:54 PM   #5
DSM Bud
Super DSMtalker

Plymouth/Laser RS/1992
DSM Bud's Gallery
Feedback Score: 8 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by kronus View Post
A budget of $100 is not going to cut out the rasp. In fact I've yet to see a 4 cylinder with 'just a muffler' not have rasp in the tone. Save yourself the disappointment and either scrap the idea of an exhaust, or save until you can afford at least a catback system with a resonator(s) in it.

*Another question: What car did you hear a magnaflow on to base your judgement?

I have a video up of my full 3inch flowmaster from the turbo back (High Flow Cat) on there. Sounds so sick and in Mass you cant have after market exhausts but I've never gotten stopped .
DSM Bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 04:08 PM   #6
EagleTalon_97
New DSMtalker

Eagle talon 1997
EagleTalon_97's Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by tures View Post
I have a magnaflow muffler on my 1g, and it has a really deep tone!
Do you know the part number or name?
Old 04-12-2012, 05:33 PM   #7
DSM Rook

Eagle Talon TSi 90
DSM Rook's Gallery
Feedback Score: 30 reviews

Your car has a deep tone because its a turbo. An NA car will sound different. My car with a VRS cat-back that has a magnaflow muffler sounds different from my Sonoma 4.3l pick up with a magnaflow. Car sounds nice, deeper tone. My truck sounds good at idle, but at higher rpm's gets a little obnoxious. My ex used to have a catback on her civic with a magnaflow dual exit exhaust and it was one of the more tolerable mufflers I've heard on a honda.
I would leave a stock muffler on a stock car. Its truely nice to get into a stock vehicle when all your others are modded.
Advertisement