bad P/T? - DSM Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum: DSMtalk.com

HomeForumGalleryClassifiedsAbout UsAdvertiseContact Us

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   DSM Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum: DSMtalk.com > DSM Tech Central > Help! Tech

DSMTalk.com is the premier Mitsubishi Eclipse Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 02-10-2013, 04:21 PM   #1
issac712
Super DSMtalker

1g/93
issac712's Gallery
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
bad P/T?

So my spark plugs aren't getting spark. Tried new plugs and it didn't work. I'm getting power to my coil harness, tried 2 coilpacks(so that's not it) only thing is when I tested my power transistor, 1 of my outlets wouldn't light up positive or negative. Would this cause a no spark problem?

Outlet on the left where my fingers are (last left outlet) isnt lighting up.
issac712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-10-2013, 04:37 PM   #2
BISHILVR
Elite DSMtalker

MITSUBISHI GST 1999
BISHILVR's Gallery
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Re: bad P/T?

What method are you using to test the ignition module? Are you getting injector pulse? In addition to the power transistor you could have a blown fuse, a bad cam angle sensor, a bad ecu or a bad ignition switch.
Old 02-10-2013, 04:47 PM   #3
issac712
Super DSMtalker

1g/93
issac712's Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by BISHILVR View Post
What method are you using to test the ignition module? Are you getting injector pulse? In addition to the power transistor you could have a blown fuse, a bad cam angle sensor, a bad ecu or a bad ignition switch.
Cars been down for a year, I haven't tested my cas yet, could u have a bad ecu but still get power to my harnesses? (Coil/transistor harness). I don't know why injector pulse would cause a no spark condition, but it does get fuel, but mpi fuse is unplugged. Haven't checked for a bad ignition switch, didn't think it would be a cause. Researching bad ignition switches now.
Old 02-10-2013, 04:49 PM   #4
BISHILVR
Elite DSMtalker

MITSUBISHI GST 1999
BISHILVR's Gallery

Yes, you can have power to the harness with a bad ecu. Plug your mpi fuse in before you go any further!
Old 02-10-2013, 04:55 PM   #5
issac712
Super DSMtalker

1g/93
issac712's Gallery

Only ecu I have I can swap is a 90 version, would it be ok without having to swap the 6&14 pins?
Old 02-10-2013, 05:02 PM   #6
BISHILVR
Elite DSMtalker

MITSUBISHI GST 1999
BISHILVR's Gallery

It would work for checking the ignition system, but it wouldnt run without the pin swap.
Old 02-10-2013, 05:20 PM   #7
Sean485
Senior Moderator

99 Spyder "GSX"
Sean485's Gallery
Feedback Score: 7 reviews

The power to the ignition system is nearly irrelevant, power is dictated by the MPI relay and not much else. The ecu sends a signal to the PTU to 'fire' the coil, the PTU then pulls one of the coil primary windings to ground, completing the circuit and charging the coil, then when the ground is removed, the magnetic field collapses and you get your spark. So basically you want to look for the ground to pulse on the respective pins of the ptu for each of the 4 important wires. 2 of them are from the ecu to command the ptu to fire, and the other 2 simply go from the coil to the PTU to control each of them.

The ground pulses are generally too fast for a multimeter or testlight to catch them however if you have a noid light you might be able to use that.

Edit: FWIW the pins on your connector there look terribly corroded and the weather seal looks like its been bathed in coolant for years.

99 Spyder "GSX"

Sean Clancy
Sean485 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 05:45 PM   #8
issac712
Super DSMtalker

1g/93
issac712's Gallery

How would I go about swaping out my transistor harness/plug? Last owner used nogoly spark amplifiers and left this hanging down under the intake manifold. Should I re-use the ampfliers, cuz I rather not, people say if I'm using a msd amp then I'm better off stock. Ill also swap ecus aswell.
Old 02-10-2013, 06:06 PM   #9
Sean485
Senior Moderator

99 Spyder "GSX"
Sean485's Gallery
Feedback Score: 7 reviews

I wouldn't say that it needs to be swapped for sure, you might try some electrical contact cleaner. If the plug is not salvageable you would have to acquire a pigtail from someones partout most likely. 2g maf plugs are the same mold I believe but you have to move one pin or something IIRC.

True ignition amplifiers can and are beneficial if setup properly but most people dont need them and most of them the average 'tuner' uses are not true amps but rather they use capacitors or other such snake-oil type ignition 'mods'.

99 Spyder "GSX"

Sean Clancy
Sean485 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 05:58 AM   #10
issac712
Super DSMtalker

1g/93
issac712's Gallery

Ok, wanna get this posted before work, but tested cas, mpi fuse, power transistor, coilpack again. With my key ON I have my CEL come on and off within 5 seconds. Then I came across these 2 wires. Checked my haynes manual and couldn't find anything on it. *haven't checked the ecu yet tho. Also getting fuel.

This yellow/grn wire gets a positive reading, but I don't know where it goes to.

This wire is alittle closer to the battery and throttle body, but has a negative reading (guessing ground)
Old 02-15-2013, 06:46 PM   #11
BISHILVR
Elite DSMtalker

MITSUBISHI GST 1999
BISHILVR's Gallery

It looks like your closed throttle position switch is unplugged, one of those probably goes to it, but it being unplugged wont stop you from having spark.
Old 02-15-2013, 06:47 PM   #12
BISHILVR
Elite DSMtalker

MITSUBISHI GST 1999
BISHILVR's Gallery

Are you sure that you dont have any of the plugs mixed up? there are other plugs that will plug into your coil pack on some years.
Old 02-15-2013, 07:08 PM   #13
issac712
Super DSMtalker

1g/93
issac712's Gallery

I'm sure, I just don't understand it anymore, ill take more pics of my whole harness to give u guys a idea, but everything ignition related has power. I'll be checking the ecu 2marrow
Sponsored Links
Advertisement