Egine idles at like, 50 rpm and CEL is on. - Page 2 - DSM Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum: DSMtalk.com

HomeForumGalleryClassifiedsAbout UsAdvertiseContact Us

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   DSM Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum: DSMtalk.com > DSM Tech Central > Help! Tech

DSMTalk.com is the premier Mitsubishi Eclipse Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Closed Thread

Old 06-19-2011, 04:31 PM   #16
2ndgen-eltalon
Super DSMtalker

Eagle/TalonESI/1996
2ndgen-eltalon's Gallery
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Re: Egine idles at like, 50 rpm and CEL is on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lost spyder View Post

Put a new belt and tensioner on and drove on my merry way home. I recently took that head off that motor when i parted the car out and saw the ever slightest nicks in my piston tops. But i got away with murder.

That is freaking awesome man. Skipping timing on a interference I4, sounds like a rebuild to me, any pics from when you tore it down? No Bent Valves?

But to the OP Miss Spyder, It seems to lead to timing being off a few teeth. Just a heads up, any 4G63 I've worked on "very few", the plug wires don't Clip/Snap to the coil, like said above, they're just held on by the boot. Its the 420A that snaps in over the grove.

Good Luck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-19-2011, 08:57 PM   #17
lost spyder
Super DSMtalker

Evo VIII
lost spyder's Gallery
Feedback Score: 9 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ndgen-eltalon View Post
That is freaking awesome man. Skipping timing on a interference I4, sounds like a rebuild to me, any pics from when you tore it down? No Bent Valves?

But to the OP Miss Spyder, It seems to lead to timing being off a few teeth. Just a heads up, any 4G63 I've worked on "very few", the plug wires don't Clip/Snap to the coil, like said above, they're just held on by the boot. Its the 420A that snaps in over the grove.

Good Luck.
I can already tell you're a very wise grasshopper . I've worked on a few 420a's and you're right they do snap on. I hate those damn cam cap bolts . Never snapped one but man was i analy retentive doing them.

No bent valves, won against a late 90's trans am later on that day with my 14b at 24psi. Won being an understatement haha i was rolling smoke off the tires past him(tsi fwd).

Garage whore: Built 2.1 destroker evoVIII with forward facing hta3586. Hasn't seen daylight in almost 2 years. Litterally, i haven't even seen it in nearly a year.(Back at my parents house in nj under wraps.)
Old 06-20-2011, 04:14 PM   #18
MissSpyderGST
Super DSMtalker

97 Spyder GS-T
MissSpyderGST's Gallery
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Oh I know you agreed with me, lost spyder.
But I just went out with my ohmeter and checked my power transistor for the ignition system, and some beep, while others don't. All are supposed to beep. SO maybe that will fix it.

I didn't realize with DSM's, that the wires weren't supposed to "snap" with the ignition coil pack. I guess you learn something new everyday! Hopefully this will fix it. I've already spent too much on it anyway. :/

DSMs for LIFE!
-Sara (Say-ruh) :p
Old 06-21-2011, 07:53 PM   #19
MissSpyderGST
Super DSMtalker

97 Spyder GS-T
MissSpyderGST's Gallery

Alright, can all of you do me a favor? Before I spend more money on a part... Test your ignition power transistor (ignition control module beside the coil pack) and test it with an ohm meter. Once you take the wiring harness off, there will be three prongs on the left and five on the right. Take the positive lead and touch the first one on the left an take the negative lead and test each o the five on the right. Let me know of the meter beeps sometimes and doesn't other times. Please do this for me! I will really appreciate it.

DSMs for LIFE!
Old 06-21-2011, 09:34 PM   #20
Wes393
Hardcore DSMtalker

1991 3000GT VR4
Wes393's Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissSpyderGST View Post
I've had so many problems with this car, that it's gotten to where I laugh when something wrong goes on.
Yup, that's a DSM for you. It doesn't even phase me when my cars crap out fireballs and die. I just grab a wrench and accept the fact that I own a DSM lol.

But it looks like your on the right track. Once you get the new coil, test out every piece of ignition equipment you can find. Then, if your still having issues, move to the timing belt.

Also, check your cam angle sensor & ignition timing. I've heard of a few coming loose and that could definitely mess with your ignition. Good luck
Old 06-21-2011, 09:39 PM   #21
90BLACKAWDTSI
Hardcore DSMtalker

1996 auto AWD Talon.
90BLACKAWDTSI's Gallery

Personally I think it would be easier and faster to verify The timing then it would be to diagnose the Ignition system. The timing has to be right or you are just shooting in the dark.

Get number 1 TDC and check the marks on the cams, takes 10 minutes to do.
Old 06-22-2011, 06:00 PM   #22
MissSpyderGST
Super DSMtalker

97 Spyder GS-T
MissSpyderGST's Gallery

Yeah, but timing IS the ignition system. I want to check all the parts to make sure they are in operating order... If not, then I will look at it. Besides, I did take a look at the timing belt and it was fine, from what I would tell... This is a HUGE puzzle; to me, anyway.

DSMs for LIFE!
Old 06-22-2011, 08:38 PM   #23
lost spyder
Super DSMtalker

Evo VIII
lost spyder's Gallery

Quote:
Oh I know you agreed with me, lost spyder.
But I just went out with my ohmeter and checked my power transistor for the ignition system, and some beep, while others don't. All are supposed to beep. SO maybe that will fix it.

I didn't realize with DSM's, that the wires weren't supposed to "snap" with the ignition coil pack. I guess you learn something new everyday! Hopefully this will fix it. I've already spent too much on it anyway. :/
If you do need one shoot me a pm, i have more than a few.

Garage whore: Built 2.1 destroker evoVIII with forward facing hta3586. Hasn't seen daylight in almost 2 years. Litterally, i haven't even seen it in nearly a year.(Back at my parents house in nj under wraps.)
Old 06-22-2011, 08:52 PM   #24
Wes393
Hardcore DSMtalker

1991 3000GT VR4
Wes393's Gallery

Quote:
Yeah, but timing IS the ignition system.
I think 90BLACKAWDTSI meant the mechanical timing. Even if the belt looks okay, it's possible to jump a tooth without doing any damage to the belt.

Like 90BLACK said, just check the marks on the cams while piston 1 is at TDC. It's pretty easy: Put a long screwdriver in the spark plug hole, turn the engine by hand until the screwdriver is at it's highest point, then check the cam marks. The piston comes to TDC twice so if they don't line up, rotate the crank another 360* and look again. If they never line up, you skipped a tooth. It's not an exact way of checking so don't be alarmed by minor misalignment, your looking for a pretty big difference in timing marks.

Did you install the new coil pack yet? Or are you still holding off until you get some numbers?
Old 06-22-2011, 09:34 PM   #25
90BLACKAWDTSI
Hardcore DSMtalker

1996 auto AWD Talon.
90BLACKAWDTSI's Gallery

Correct, you need to make sure your mechanical timing is correct before you can diagnose any issue with the car like you are having.
Old 06-23-2011, 05:32 PM   #26
MissSpyderGST
Super DSMtalker

97 Spyder GS-T
MissSpyderGST's Gallery

Well, as of right now, I'm waiting on Brandon to give me his control module, so I can see if that is the issue. He drives a 97 Talon TSi, so it's the same car, basically. He said he'll let me borrow his car parts instead of going out and speanding ridiculous amounts of money on something that may have needed one little part, that cost less than a hundred bucks. So I'm checking that this weekend... And seeing what I get. Then I'm checking everything else.

DSMs for LIFE!
Old 06-26-2011, 08:08 PM   #27
MissSpyderGST
Super DSMtalker

97 Spyder GS-T
MissSpyderGST's Gallery

Ok, so I got the problem fixed. It was my ignition control module.

I knew something minor was my problem, and thank you for all of your advise guys!

As for you, Lost Spyder, I will be pm'ing you probably around Friday for one of these parts. I need to replace the one that Brandon gave me from his Talon TSi. The reason why I have to wait, is because that's when I get paid haha. Thanks for the offer, as well.

-Sara

DSMs for LIFE!
Old 02-14-2013, 05:35 PM   #28
stilleneclipse
New DSMtalker

98 Eclipse GST Spyder
stilleneclipse's Gallery

So did the problem ever get fixed?
Old 02-14-2013, 06:10 PM   #29
DSM Loki

90tsiawd
DSM Loki's Gallery

Quote:
Ok, so I got the problem fixed. It was my ignition control module.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stilleneclipse View Post
So did the problem ever get fixed?
The first sentence in the post right before yours.
Old 02-15-2013, 06:57 AM   #30
burkgonzo
Ultra DSMtalker

92 Talon Tsi
burkgonzo's Gallery
Feedback Score: 28 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsm loki View Post
the first sentence in the post right before yours.
Holy no reading last post Batman
Advertisement

Closed Thread