DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner

Dynomax vs. Borla mufflers..

3K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  95GST 
#1 ·
I did a bunch of searches about these mufflers and haven't found anything bad about either, but I never found a good comparison between the two...

I am getting a 3" turbo-back system from AHP for my 91 Talon. I'm not going to pay $235 for their Thermal muffler, so I am looking at either the Borla XR-1 3" in/out or the 3" Utlra-flo SS muffler from Dynomax.

Which of these two are people most happy with? I haven't found a price for the Dynomax yet, but the Borla goes for $128.95 from Summit. Also is there another brand that would be better for the same price/cheaper?

Thanks in advance.

#2 ·
dynomaxes can be had pretty cheap $50-75. I personally like the magnaflow mufflers which are around $75-100. They are great quality & I've heard that they are made by the same company that produces thermal mufflers. Also the BORLA is a very good muffler... but quite pricy.. just my $.02

#4 ·
Thanks for the feedback guys. Looks like I will be going for the Borla. I really want SS for the muffler, and the Borla is $128....plus I won't have to buy a tip. Though I haven't found the prices for the SS Ultra or Magnaflow yet...guess I should do that before making a final decision.

Thanks.

#5 · (Edited)
hey, i have got a borla xr-l 3" in/out on my car, along with 3" turbo back exshaust and no cat, its real loud, and mean sounding if you get on it. at idle it sounds like a loud v-8 with that bluh bluh bluh sound, and as long as i keep the revs low the cops dont bother me.. i dont know how much of this i can accredit the borla with, but i havent heard another dsm that sounds like mine:)

#8 ·
Not much of a restriction. Nothing like a cat convertor.

Without a resonator it will have lots of treble and buzzes and resonation. I havn't had an exhaust on my car that doesn't have one but I know how it sounds like, a lot of more BAAAAAAAH sound, some might call it a mean aggressive sound but to me I want mine as quiet as possible.

With a resonator, it's mostly nice low rumble.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.