DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner

Help designing coil on plug

8K views 19 replies 13 participants last post by  iwantawd 
#1 ·
I am new to the dsm world. I have had my talon for a few months. I do know the 4g63 potential, as a friend of mine/coworker has a dodge colt fwd with a 4g63/auto and has run a best of 9.63 at 14x mph its a sweet car but anyways..
I just saw the buschur cop system. I think it looks awesome, with no plug wires to mess with, and it is suppose to help with spark as I understand. I would love this setup on my car, but for now, i am poor. Now I work at a linc/merc dealership and I have access to fords version of coil on plug. Namely, the set used on the 4.6 dohc in cobras and linc mark 7
The question is, can I use these coils? Is there a reason why the 300 coil is so much better. What issues is there installing these. I know i am walking into new territory, but it seems that it can be done.
I would have to build an adapter plate to mount them, wire them in, as i understand the stock pcm can control them when wired in, I would like to go to dsmlink or a stand alone in the future, when money is more available.
I thank anyone for their opinion and or help in this area
Don

#2 ·
I am wondering if you're getting ahead of yourself. COP ignition is one of the later things to do in a standard upgrade path. The stock dsm ignition is very stout and has taken people very far. I have heard 500 whp; some even say 600 whp.

If you do really need COP then I can't help you much, as I haven't gotten close enough to that level to even think about it.

#3 ·
I am

I am, sort of... I know that it is not a requirement or anything, I just can get the coils (for free) and want my car to be special. My friend has i think rx7 coils and wires on his car.. I just don't like the wires, plus, I think i am going to need new wires soon anyway... I figure, its free, its an upgrade, why not.
If anyone knows fords, I can probably get the 3.9 ls coil, the previosly stated 4.6 dohc coil, and probably even the 5.4 sohc coil

Don

#5 ·
I can't find the thread on galantvr4.org I am not a member there so maybe that is why, if you could attach a direct link, or copy it, I would be thankful. Anyways, anyone with the buschur or similar setup, how does it fnction... any improvements?
Don

#6 ·
I'm too lazy to find it for you but AEM Power.com has had the DIY instructions for this for quite a while. All the parts, all the wiring, a guy named Eric even sells the base plates, or you could make one like I did. Its very easy and costs less than $200.00. I'd post a pic of mine 'cause it looks great but again, I'm too lazy.

#7 ·
dont get mad at me i am new to this and just trying to learn can you explain to me what the wasted spark system is and how it works i am getting ready to upgrade my whole ingnition system and want to know everything i can about it and how to make it the BEST unfourtanely i only have a lowely 420 but i like it and want to make it faster so whatever help you could give me on the ignition system would be really helpful thanks

i found a bunch of parts for ignition here and i thought that this stuff looke like a good start
http://catalog.exileracing.com/index.php?cPath=215_248_225&osCsid=ab077dff91bee9dce645050e925a79b5

#8 ·
Waste spark is where two spark plugs fire at the same time, one plug igniting the compressed air/fuel as the piston finishes its compresion (sp?) stroke, and the other igniting during the exhaust stroke, doing nothing and being "wasted" Now I know nothing of your 420 so I can't answer anything about that. I guess no one knows anything about coil on plug sysytems. If anyone knows why the chysler coils are the perfect choice, I am interested. I think it can be done with the coils I have, I just don't want to jump into this head first.
Don

#10 ·
Theres a bit to change to get the real benifit for a coil on plug system. The aim is to only fire 1 coil at a time and with the car not running a standalone computer and a different trigger system you will still have a wasted spark set up!

#12 ·
coil on plug systems are great, IF you use a different ignition box like the msd or the aem.... Then you can gap the spark plugs more.... If you just throw in a cop system its not going to do anything for you other than look better. There are guys on the DSMlink forum running stock systems on 500hp cars...

#13 ·
wolfeman28 said:
coil on plug systems are great, IF you use a different ignition box like the msd or the aem.... Then you can gap the spark plugs more.... If you just throw in a cop system its not going to do anything for you other than look better. There are guys on the DSMlink forum running stock systems on 500hp cars...

So your saying cop by itself does not produce a better spark than a 14yr old pos coilpack and some plug wires? I think I'll go cop before i spend 200 for a new coil pack and another 80 or so for some good wires especially when i can get the coils for 20 bucks and a plate for 45.

#14 ·
dsmnewb said:
So your saying cop by itself does not produce a better spark than a 14yr old pos coilpack and some plug wires? I think I'll go cop before i spend 200 for a new coil pack and another 80 or so for some good wires especially when i can get the coils for 20 bucks and a plate for 45.
But $50 a month on plugs doesn't sound to appealing.... Give Tym Switzer from Switzer Performance a call.... He's one of the guys that started the COP craze, and he talked me out of them.... He can tell you so much about them it will make your head spin....

#15 ·
I have the buschur setup...My coil was on its way out and I had been looking at the setup for some time now......I feel a definate difference with it on there....starting is so much better and just all around the car runs so much smoother. I have a stand alone and so i can make some use out of the system. The only downfall is having to change the plugs like every month but its not to bad.

#17 ·
I have a question to whoever has the switzer or slowboy c.o.p setups. I made my own setup using 300m coils and my own plate. loved the setup until I blew 2 coils for no reason. What I was wondering was how the other setups are wired up. Are they soldered or crimped? And pics of the actual wiring would be great since i ran waste spark and wired them directly to the stock wiring.

#18 · (Edited)
For coil on plug set up the coil dwell time and discharge time is a lot different to the standard coil pack so what you have done is cooked your coils, a standalone ECU can control these times and can also make it a none waste spark system! thats where the benifits come into it. and the reason for burning your plugs out will be the amount of charge the over charged coils are trying to pump out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.