DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner

i swaped my 96 talon bumper to a 97, need help

991 views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  talontsiawd 
#1 ·
ok i baught my car and the girl that had it before me put on a 97 front bumper, it doesnt fit right and ive heard it wont fit on the sides but there is like a 1/2 inch gap along where the bumper meets the light? is this normal or is my mounting brackets messed up, ill buy some projector 97 lights if that will fix the gap along the bottom but im not sure if thats where the difference in size is between the years or if my bumper supports are just messed up?
thanks

#2 ·
What year headlights are you using. Do they have a black housing? The bumper shouldn't even fit with the talon headlights (assuming it's an eclipse bumper) with out cutting the bumper. I would imagine that you have 97-99 headlights or a 97-98 talon front. Either way, it should fit. The problem is it probably was done hurriedly and she didn't take the time get it perfect. Check if the clips that are under the bumper are still there. Also, try taking the bolts out under the hood between the headlights and see if you can push the bumper up and re tighten the bolts. Projectors will not fix the problem (especially if it is a 97-98 talon bumper, it will give you a big gap between the edge of the light and the bumper).

#4 ·
bumper

ok sorry i didnt say, it is a talon bumper, i think i will just try to get a diffferent front end, if i buy the projector lights, and just the eclipse front body kit, is that all i need for the swap?, i think the problem is the bumper itself may not be from the factory because it is wavey where it meets the lights so maybe i can convert to a eclipse front end?
thanks brian

#6 ·
I am completely lost? A 97 talon bumper doesnt fit a 96 talon? She had to seriously mess something up to pull that one off since talon front bumpers are 100% interchangeable without any extra stuff to be done...

#7 ·
oOBLazerOo said:
I am completely lost? A 97 talon bumper doesnt fit a 96 talon? She had to seriously mess something up to pull that one off since talon front bumpers are 100% interchangeable without any extra stuff to be done...
You need to make sure everything is lined up properly to avoid gaps. When i first put on mine, i had a quarter inch gap on one side and no gap on the other. You can have minor fitment issues if you don't take your time to do everything correctly.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.