DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner

RHD 1G's??

8K views 18 replies 12 participants last post by  laserdriver90 
#1 ·
Were there any? Does anyone have any pics (interior/exterior)? I've been wrriting to some overseas parts exporters asking to locate me some rhd parts to convert my shops demo 1g to rhd, but none can locate any parts. I'm considering fabricating it from scratch, but I am not sure where to locate parts. The only too speedbumps are the steering rack, and the master cylinder relocation. Everything else is simple fabrication. Any pics, advise, suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks, Ray

#7 ·
OK, I remember reading that. I feel dumb.
If I ever get the time I'm going to begin doing this for a fun little project. I'll rebuild the dash and everything.
I'm considering getting a pair of heavy duty 1:1 ratio 90 degree gearboxes so that I can retain the factory steering rack and build a frame for the assembly under the dash. If I link it all with the correct size u-joits and have it bolted to a welded frame, I bet I can even retain the AC, and do it all safely and driveable. Just wanting to do something different to get the attention of some of our younger clients. We'll see, I guess.

#8 ·
fatalshock said:
OK, I remember reading that. I feel dumb.
If I ever get the time I'm going to begin doing this for a fun little project. I'll rebuild the dash and everything.
I'm considering getting a pair of heavy duty 1:1 ratio 90 degree gearboxes so that I can retain the factory steering rack and build a frame for the assembly under the dash. If I link it all with the correct size u-joits and have it bolted to a welded frame, I bet I can even retain the AC, and do it all safely and driveable. Just wanting to do something different to get the attention of some of our younger clients. We'll see, I guess.
Only thing that would probably happen is you will have a junk 1g after all of this. Don't waste your time or money.

#10 ·
Go on some honda sites. What you need is basically a front clip. Which will be hard to find. You need the firewall and dash most importantly. You can do it with your existing firewall with fabrication but to get an oem look on the firewall, you want the rhd one.

#14 ·
i1nk83 said:
you could possibly use a rhd galant rack/ steering assy.since most of the gvr4 parts will interchange with the 1g's, so it might just work.
No offence to anyone else, but that is the most logical thing I've heard on this topic yet. Kudos i1nk83, I'm gonna check that out. It's no wonder no parts suppliers could locate me a 1g rhd rack...Duh. If that rack will work, all that will be required would be the brake/pedals assembly relocation, various cables rerouted, and the dash support/column mount be relocated. Dash fabrication is what I do for a living, so that will be cake. And believe me, making the firewall look right is just simple metalworking, and new brake lines. Pending the cost of the rack (if I can find one), I'm guessing I can complete the conversion for under $500. I'll keep you all posted on this, as well as my other 1000 projects under way.

Anyone care to help me find a RHD rack from a gvr4? I'll give a finders fee of half off my 1g front lip kit coming out next month!?:banana:

#15 · (Edited)
check on galantvr4.org... they have alot of stuff and many outside the USA members that could get you one alot easier than most of us. Also every once in awhile they will have a galant front clip on ebay, it would be pretty much everything you need and then have some cool parts to part out.

swade

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.