DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner

Air conditioner problem!

14K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  turbobird14 
#1 ·
I have a 1999 Eclipse RS.

When I turn my AC on, the green light stays lit for about 10 secs, then begins to flash on and off. I think I hear the engine have its power drain when I hit the button, but I cannot tell? Anyone else had this problem?

It was 105 out today, and it's going to be even hotter monday. Please for the love of god HELP!

#2 ·
I would start by checking the the codition of your a/c belt and the tightness of it. I have had my light flash like that when I hit a deep puddle. The belt slips on the pulley. I usually just turn the a/c off and then back on it a minute or so & the moisture is usually gone and it works fine. My guess would be that you need a new belt or to tighten it. Hope that helps you some.

#3 ·
dsmtalon1998 said:
I would start by checking the the codition of your a/c belt and the tightness of it. I have had my light flash like that when I hit a deep puddle. The belt slips on the pulley. I usually just turn the a/c off and then back on it a minute or so & the moisture is usually gone and it works fine. My guess would be that you need a new belt or to tighten it. Hope that helps you some.

In same area...
How do I change the AC belt easist? I havent even checked under there yet but is it any problem or easy swap?Mine broke and I am without AC right now...Not good when selling car :-(

#6 ·
tintedblue said:
Well I've had it checked for leaks in the refrigerant and they found none, and I've checked the fuse and that isn't it either. As for the belt, I see it turning, but I haven't had it tightened yet as I am strapped on funds.
how did they check it? the only way to have it checked is to put UV dye in it...but the ac system would be delivering some sort of cool air after its done becuase you need a recharge when the dye is injected....BTW is 140 on the high or low side....LOW SIDE(140)= VERY BAD.. should be about 30-45 depending on RPM but no lower... make sure AC cooling fan works...ac compressor clutch is engaged at all times..check all fuses as well hope this will get you in the right dirrection...

BTW.. to everyone that thinks that yor AC system just needs to be recharged....there wrong.... Ac is a sealed system... so if everything is fine in your AC...it should last as long as your car with no maintenance!!! Quick recharge=more leak...i wish it was that simple

#7 ·
I just started to have the same problem sorta. My ac light stays green but, the nice crisp smelling cold air turns to humid vent air. I try turning it off then on. Sometines it works and then sometimes it doesn't. It is in the mid 90's nowa days so I guess it is back to the shop. As far as the belts and so forth my car has barely broke through the 30k mark not bad for a 98. I will review the post again but, if anyone else has any input let's hear it.

#8 ·
That's what they did, they put some sort of dye through the system or something. As for the low side, high side stuff, I dunno. What I did was hook a pressure gauge up that came with a recharge kit and it jumped to 140. The gauge would only hook up to one part of it. Thanks for help so far.

#9 ·
pissedspyder said:
I just started to have the same problem sorta. My ac light stays green but, the nice crisp smelling cold air turns to humid vent air. I try turning it off then on. Sometines it works and then sometimes it doesn't. It is in the mid 90's nowa days so I guess it is back to the shop. As far as the belts and so forth my car has barely broke through the 30k mark not bad for a 98. I will review the post again but, if anyone else has any input let's hear it.
Usually when the air is nice and cold and goes warm..it means there could be a blockage at your TXV(thermal Expansion Valve) it controls the amount of refrigerant through the system. When moisture/water gets into the system it will freeze at a point of restriction. Because the TXV is a controlled restriction water freezes and doesn't allow refrigerant to flow. The evaporator can longer can absorb heat from the car. So you just are blowing around hot/humid air from in the car. When you turn off the a/c the ice will melt the a/c will work again until it freezes once more. The TXV should be located in the heater case. The best way to check is to have a set off manifold gauges to check the high and low side pressures. And pull apart the heater case and look at it.

If the TXV is freezing up the low side pressre will go from 30-45 and will fall..than the low side should go into a vacuum. Since the restriction is blocking it all.

#13 ·
tintedblue said:
Anyone shed light on my problem? Mine doesn't start off as cold air and turns warm, it starts as warm and the light starts flashing.
you probably have a leak in the system...go to a shop and have them find where the leak is comming from...they even might know where is the most likely spot on your dsm for it to leak from...where ever the leak is at...the dye will find it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.