DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner

Tires - Which Are Best!

104K views 332 replies 139 participants last post by  gsxgsxgsx 
#1 ·
Some info that I found. Hope it helps.
------------------------------------------------

Tires .... which are best
We have broken down tires into several catagories and here is a short list of what I have experienced in our
testing. Now remember, we do not have every single tire line in the world so, if your particular favorite is
not in this list it is probably because we haven't tested it. Also, this is my take on the testing that I have
completed here at The Tire Rack on our test track.

Maximum Performance:
These are the absolute best performing tires on the market. Great steering response and wet/dry traction (not
for use in the snow!!!) which is at home on the track.

1.)S-03 Pole Position
2.)Pilot Sport
3.)S-02 Pole Position (discontinued)
4.)AVS Sport
5.)P-Zero Rosso

There is 1 glaring omission in this list. It is the BFG G-Force T/A KD. The reason for this tire not being on
the list is because of its lack of versatility. It is the best performing tire in the dry but, is almost scary
in the wet.

Ultra High Performance:
A step down form the Max tires but, still exceptional performance which fits most application for a street tire
that can be
driven very aggressivley.

1.) Firehawk SZ50 EP
2.) Potenza RE730's (extreme noise issues)
3.) A520
4.) G-Force KDW
5.) Sport 8000
6.) HTR Z II

3-6 are all very close in performance levels.
The noise issues of the 730's are mostly related
to larger/heavier cars with rear wheel drive.

Ultra High Performance All Season
Performance tires which are capable of going through the snow.

1.) Sport 5000
2.) Michelin Pilot Sport A/S
3.) AVS DB (quietest tire I have ever driven)
4.) BFG G-Force KDWS
5.) P7000 Super Sport

Budget Performance Tires
Summer performance with a cost effective tire when your budget is a concern. (based on performance not cost)

1.) Sumitomo HTR Z II
2.) Sumitomo HTR Z
3.) Kumho Ecsta Supra 712 (best ride quality in this group)
4.) Yokohama AVS Intermediate

I hope this helps you in your tire selections

Thanks, Luke@tirerack
800-428-8355 ext. 362

See less See more
#27 ·
The AVS is yokohoma's performance tire line.. kinda like bridgestone potenza. The AVS Db is made to be a really quiet tire for the BMW/Mercedes crowd. The ES100 is sort of an entry level performance tire.

I tried the kumho 712s right after they came out... they were really great for the 1st few months.. then the got really hard really fast & sucked from then on out. And this was when they still had 3/4 tread remaining.

#29 ·
I have recently put 4 new Falken Azenis on my 90 Laser RS-T, and cannot stop being amazed at their stickyness, and grip. I can whip around tight corners and not break loose, and under 1/4m. race conditions they grip just great. The tire is pretty soft, so I don't expect it to hold up *too well over time. I heard about 11K or 12K from someone.......anyone care to comment?
Previously, I had Dunlop SP Sport A2's which I didn't really like at all. They were ok for a couple of months, then pretty much sucked afterwards.

#30 ·
Btw, one of my friends (Warren Chang if any of you know him from around Wisc...) has a modded Supra Single Turbo, and he has Nitto Drag 555's on it, and they work damn well. He manages sweet launches for low 11 second 1/4 times, and also corners pretty damn well too!
Don't know exactly how they wear, though....

#31 ·
Laserjpb said:
I have recently put 4 new Falken Azenis on my 90 Laser RS-T.... The tire is pretty soft, so I don't expect it to hold up *too well over time. I heard about 11K or 12K from someone.......anyone care to comment?
I've had a set of Azenis' as a street tire for 13k on my '90 AWD, and the first line of tread on the inside edge is all but gone on the fronts. This is due to my alignment, so running close to 0 toe front and rear would surely extend the life of the tires.
I've been pleased with these tires throughout their life. There is a little more NVH with the Azenis, nothing too extreme in my opinion. On the freeway, depending on what type of surface you're on, they can produce a whirring or slight howling sound. They'll also pick up and fling debris into the wheelwells. Again, I was able to tone out a good deal of it by turning up my radio. A larger exhaust will help.
I've only had them in a light shower once early on, so I cannot comment on their hydroplane resistance. I have read that they work well in wet conditions, as long as there isn't a pool of standing water.
Overall, I've been happy with the Falkens. I might pick up another set or test out some AVS-i's/ES100's, haven't decided yet.

#32 ·
The ES 100's are amazing. Ive only put about 200 miles on mine so far, so i cant comment on wear, but i sure used those miles to put em through their paces. i cant break em loose on dry. i push them harder every time i try and they havent let me down. in the wet they are still very good. i drove through inch deep puddles at over 40 with no hydroplane or steering wheel pull. i did break em loose by dumping the clutch in second gear through a corner at WOT, but the car was easy to control and without letting up they hooked by 5k. in an autocross style hard right into a hairpin left in the rain, they did sorta "skip," and violently so. but they held their grip and im sure they'd have gripped right away if i have let off the throttle.

I am totally stunned by the performance of these tires.

chris

#33 ·
On Azenis RS

Laserjpb said:
I have recently put 4 new Falken Azenis on my 90 Laser RS-T, and cannot stop being amazed at their stickyness, and grip. I can whip around tight corners and not break loose, and under 1/4m. race conditions they grip just great. The tire is pretty soft, so I don't expect it to hold up *too well over time. I heard about 11K or 12K from someone.......anyone care to comment?
Even though the treadwear on the Azenis RS is 200, people suspect that it may be around 100 marked at 200. The Azenis are marketed for the Street Touring class in Solo2 so treadwear is limited to I believe 140 and up. They tend to wear like R-compounds. ;)

-Rich

#36 ·
ihatemycar said:
i know this is a little off topic bur i have searched and not found anything, i was wondering would 235 40 17's fit on a 2g with a one inch drop? any info greatly appreciated
They sure do, I've got the pro kit, which is a ~1.3" drop:

I've got the ADR Kasai's 17x8 wrapped with 235/45R17 Falken FK451's on them. I've got one wheel drive and one big ass turbo(Green), these tires stick like gum on a sneaker, and cheap (104.00/tire). I barely chirp 'em in 2nd. In the rain, I can drive with confidence, haven't hydroplaned yet...*knock on wood*

#37 ·
i have had the yokohama avs es100's for about 3 weeks and the improvement over my goodyear gt4's is ungodly apparent... from more traction on a launch to better cornering they are much better

and for wet traction, i drove through a rainstorm where it was pooring so bad i couldnt even see and i wuz going 70mph+ around curves without a hint of slippage, i also took some corners at 30 or so in second gear, stomping it mid-turn and didnt spin at all... in my opinion a great tire, and only $88 a piece from tire rack, and you get a free remote control car to play with :D

#38 ·
Lunchbox_92AWD said:
i have had the yokohama avs es100's for about 3 weeks and the improvement over my goodyear gt4's is ungodly apparent... from more traction on a launch to better cornering they are much better
Better than Goodyears? And you had any doubt? The Goodyear gt+4's suck donkey balls period. I can't even believe that tire was factory on some of these cars :rolleyes: Biggest POS tire I have ever had in my life.

#39 ·
I've had some goodyear eagle f1's, kumho 712's, falken azenis, and falken fk 451's in the past 2 years (over 100k on three cars). I do a lot of driving. By far the gripiest was the azenis and they lasted a good 23k ( on my zx2 s/r). The best all around tires were the goodyear eagle f1's very good grip dry and good grip wet. The falken fk-451's are a close second good grip (less than f1's) in the dry and a little better grip wet than the f1's. As far as I'm concerned kumho's suck for a dry tire they are a very good wet tire. They do not last long mine lasted 15k and were almost bald I got rid of them a little early to get the azenis. The fk-451's that I have on my awd right now are good tires but I'm going to switch back to the azenis when these wear out. Unless you live in a wet area the azenis are the best tires that I've had these things stick like glue.

#42 ·
Later on I'll be going with 18 x 7.5 wheels.. I'm thinking 225/45 tires would be best for that setup? The wheels i want have a +45 offset.. is that going to mess things up? I'm a newb when it comes to wheel/tire sizes. I've heard nothing but good about the Falken Azenis (sp) so I'm really considering going with those. How much could i get a set of 4 in the size mentioned above? Any other reccomendations?
Thanks
BK

#50 ·
Tire Rack does have lower prices, but that's mainly because Discount Tire includes shipping in the price of the tire. Most tires I priced at both places, though, still came out a tad cheaper in the long run through Tire Rack. And all the ratings and reviews and stuff are great resources.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.