DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner

sub crossover frequency?

1K views 16 replies 8 participants last post by  1loudtalon 
#1 ·
I have my sub crossed over at 60 hz and still seem to get some bad overlap onto my front speakers. What does everyone else have theres set at. preferably people using components.

#2 ·
Are pulling the bass out of the front speakers? I'd try that at first but you'll lose Bass Up Front. What is your set up? I haven't really ever had a problem like that. But I listen to rock with heavy kicks and slaps so, that fronts play those and the sub reinforces extended notes.

#12 ·
It sounds like you're trying to match the natural rolloff of your drivers in front with the crossover frequency of the sub. I hate to say it, but you'll likely never get a good result that way.

One way to easily and cleanly eliminate the overlap is to run inline high-pass filters with all your speakers. I'd recommend second-order high-pass filters crossing over at 150Hz for your front and rear speakers. You can then tune the crossover frequency of the sub to handle everything below 150hz. This way, you should be able to simply adjust the gain for your sub until everything sounds right.

#13 ·
well i fixed the fronts, they responded down to about 65 hz +/- a bit so now i need to set the crossovers on the amp. but it fixed the front sound stage. of course i have enough sound proofing so that if a car blew up next to me i would never hear it throught the door

#14 ·
In my 91 GSX, the dash speakers and door speakers are X-over at 120hz. The rears get X-over at 80hz with the sub in, and without the sub I give the rears the full range. I usually X-over the sub at 100hz, or 80hz, depending on the music. I've found that to really stage a car good, your are going to need a nice big parametric EQ. I've always wanted one, but they aren't necessary for a great sounding system.

#15 ·
my sound system is great. what you wanna do is cut off the regular speakers and components at about 40 hertz, or werever yours happen to start to distort. then run your subs at the lowest crossoverpoint and slowley raise the lowpass cutoff till it sounds the way you like it. if this still doesnt work you may have your gains too high. and remember, for sound quality, you shouldnt use any bass boosts, just the proper gain setting.

#16 ·
damm, I am only an amature in the audio world, but its sounds to me as if you all have your cross overs very low on your mid range speakrs(40hz?) are any of you guys running a mid bass driver up front? personal I would like to have JL 8w3's in my stock doors, with diamond hex 5 1/4 componets in kickpannels.

#17 ·
i have infinity kappa 5.25 components up front and 6.5 coaxles in the back. they are ran from a rockford 90.4, NOT a4.... .4. the really good old school amps. they are all ran high pass at 40 hertz with a rockford crossover. then i have a kicker comp 12 inch DVC vr sub in a sealed box in the trunk. that is ran by 2 punch 60.2, again not a2... .2. they each run one voive coil on the sub. all the signal is from a kenwood 3011 cd player that is 9825612983 years old. all the wire is rockford. rockford connectors and distribution blocks are used too.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.