DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner

Freeze Plug popped into the motor!!!!

6K views 12 replies 11 participants last post by  1gcrazy 
#1 ·
Hey guys I need some advice on this issue. To make a long story short, I tried punching out a leaking freeze plug and the whole plug took a nose dive into the block. It is the one in front of the motor and closest to the timing belt. I tried picking at it with my finger hoping to retrieve it somehow, but it looks like its just falling deeper into the motor. I wonder if I can just leave the damn thing in there, but it will minimize (or even block off) the water circulation in that area right? Is there another outlet somewhere where I can get to this fallen plug? I'm wondering if I take off the water pump, that there would be an access to it. Any advice or response is well appreciated. Thanks in advance.

#6 ·
I have seen many engines with the frost plugs punched in and left in with no ill effects on anything, Although my preference is to remove them it should not be an issue. That is if its absolutly to the point that you cant remove it. Like mentioned above, if you can reach it and get a vise grip on it then by all means go for it.

#10 ·
Hey guys! I wanted to thank all of you for the quick responses and feedback! I tried using the telescopic magnet early this morning, but there wasn't enough room to extend the rod to the plug. Again, tried using fingers with no progress. I soon grew tired and crashed out under the car (putting on drive line) and dreamt about putting a magnet inside of a glove and fishing it out that way! Woke up with excitement I tried it out. I found a doughnut shaped magnet and tied a wire through it (just in case the magnet gets stuck and the breaks off from the glove) and chucked the magnet it into the middle finger of the glove. Slipped on the glove and was able to fish out the damn plug! Completed wrestling with the plug using pliers and now a new plug is in! Thanks again guys! As common sense as it may sound to use a magnet, I probably would have never thought about it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.