DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner

Hello

3K views 23 replies 6 participants last post by  xandrew245x 
#1 ·
Hello, new to the forum and a new owner of a 95 eclipse gst. I just wanted to introduce myself and say h!

#2 ·
Here are some pictures of my car.
There are two major rust spots, I have circled the location of them, they are on both driver and passenger side.

My plan is to restore the car, and eventually get it to about 300 hp. This is going to be a car I take pride in, it will be garage kept always, and only driven if the weather is nice.

The car when I bought it already had upgrade radiator and direct wired fan, aftermarket gauge cluster, straight pipe with cat delete, after market intake, direct atmosphere blow off. Upgraded intercooler and piping, headlights and tail lights.

So far I have remove and cleaned up most of the suspension components, installed new springs and struts, lowering the car. New calipers, pads and rotors all around. Diagnosed and repaired issues with ground wire, installed new alternator.

The plan. I want to pull the engine and replace all timing components, remove balance shaft, install new crank pully, install new oil pan, install new gaskets. New plugs, new coils, all new fluids in transmission, engine. etc. While the engine is out, i want to clean it up and clean up the engine bay.

Once it is all clean up, and up to date on its maintenance, I want to start adding my go fast parts :p.

So any advice, tips or suggestions are welcome!

#7 ·
There is some sort of sensor after the BOV (its under the air intake, so you can't see it from the picture) I want to set it up as a recirculating system though, from my understanding that is what is needed for street use. I am going to need a new pipe from the intercooler to the throttle body and a new BOV to set it up this way.

#13 ·
So here is what I have accomplished last night. I removed the hood, front bumper, radiator, intercooler, intake piping, intake, power steering pump, alternator and various sensors. The rust on the passenger side rocker is really bad. But the driver side isn't bad at all, and could easily be fixed with a little welding.

I see a lot of people do a power steering delete, what is the benefits of this?

Tonight I want to remove some more components, I want the engine to be ready to be pulled out when I get my engine hoist. This is going to be a winter project, hopefully I can get at least the engine and bay done over winter and get the car back on the road by spring time.

I have been thinking about selling my 3000gt and use the funds towards this car, I have had the 3000gt for almost 6 years now and it has served me well as my daily driver.

Oh, I also bought a sand blasting gun and removed the god awful paint off of the rims that came on the car, however I won't be doing anymore sand blasting until I build a box for it.

Engine Vehicle Auto part Car Automotive exterior

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Mitsubishi Sedan

#14 ·
Hello and welcome. Generally speaking guys will switch to manual steering units to clean up the engine bay by getting rid of associated hoses, pumps, reservoirs, etc. As far as rust repair there are many good threads on here about the subject, some guys get serious and cut out panels and weld good donor panels in, some buy sheet metal and shape and weld that in, some guys just use bondo (not recommended), some guys leave it to a body shop. How much do you love the car? thats the question.

#15 · (Edited)
I lost my belt that powers my alternator and power steering and it was a pain to steer, does it get easier to steer once the pump and hoses are removed?

As for the the rust, I want to take a stab at it, I have a welder and I can cut and shape metal fairly well. I want to do it the correct way. Thats the only badly rusted spot on the whole car.

Just a little update, I have the majority of the wires and hoses disconnected, I rounded off a bolt trying to get the down pipe off, which lead to me removing the whole turbo thinking I could get to the bolt better, but ended up just cutting the downpipe, which I should have just done first. I guess it doesn't matter since the turbo was coming off eventually anyways. Also when I went to remove the axles, it didn't pull out correctly on both sides, it pulled the knuckles out that the boot covers.

#19 ·
As I get more and more parts off the engine, i'm going to take this time to start cleaning them up, is it okay to power wash the engine components, and is there anything I need to avoid getting wet? Just trying to figure out a good way to get these parts clean and ready for paint.

#20 ·
I have the engine removed from the car and stripped down to the block. I am definitely needing to paint the block, all the paint is flaking off and there is rust spots, which leads me to this question. What is the best way to remove all the old paint and rust before painting? I have heard soda blasting works great and its safe, but I have heard from others not to dare soda blast engine components due to it possibly causing issues later down the line from a piece of media getting stuck somewhere. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

#21 ·
Anyone have any advice on removing the old paint and rust from my block. I used a cup wire brush on my angle grinder and it works great at getting it down to bare metal, but I can't get it into all the nooks and crannies of the block.

I started cleaning up my valve cover last night, I used paint remover to get rid of the clear coat on it, and sanded it with some 220 grit paper down to bare metal. I plan on painting it, and leaving the letters polished.

#22 ·
Usually the easiest thing with blocks is to take them to a machine shop when they are bare. The process of degreasing them and steam cleaning them usually results in all the block paint coming off. However, if you're not tearing it down then the best thing is to just keep doing what your doing. Make sure you prime it before you repaint.

#24 ·
I've been busy and haven't really had time to work on this project. I've been using paint remover and a wire brush to remove the old paint on the block. In the process I've gotten paint dust and small chips on the top of the block,pistons and some in the cooling and oil veins. What is the best way to flush this out. I read somewhere you could use water, but I'm unsure about that.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.