DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner

Rough Idle After timing belt change

8K views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  Blurred Talon 
#1 ·
Hey guys!

So I went to a shop to do my timing belt (because the almost hit 60,000 miles after the other timing belt), but when I got it back it started to idle rough. I thought maybe the guy did the belt wrong, but he won't budge saying he's a "master tech, blah blah blah" and that he did the job right. And he said if I wanted him to the job again, I had to pay him again :mad:. So I'm starting to fix it myself (which I should've done because it would've been the same results :rolleyes: )

But before I am going to change the belt I am going to assume the mechanic is right and do some test.
Compression:
145psi across the board
Did a vacuum test and it wast "flicking" on 9psi-10psi-11psi

I already changed the:
Spark Plugs
Wires
Throttle Body Gasket
Intake manifold
All cracked hoses

What else should I look at before the timing belt (that's cheap and easy)?

Oh forgot to mention that besides the rough idle, my car drives fine.

See less See more
#3 ·
Take it back to him and tell him to fix it or he'll be getting a report from the better business bureau, and a letter from small claims court. He can explain to them that he's a master tech and never makes a mistake. I'm ASE master certified. I fuck up shit all the time. Everyone does. Only difference is I fix my mistakes and can admit I made one.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.